7

Dave

Going back into the room, Kairi was still asleep her dinosaur onesie. She just looks so calm and peaceful, so I decided not to move her. Standing right by the door, I slowly closed it, making her have some privacy before walking downstairs towards my garage.

I've been working on a cherry red 1965 Mustang fastback for the longest time. It has always been my dream car for the longest time, just need to fix her up. I've been putting my blood,sweat and tears into what was my very first car back in high school.

I save up for this car since I first entered the game. When I bought it, the car was already in bad shape, so I took the time to fix it whenever I find time. It's been going on for years, but I just need to do some finish touches under neath the car.

While repairing underneath the car for what seemed like a good hour, I heard my phone go off. Sliding from underneath it, I wiped my dirty hands with a red cloth, sweating out my Hanes white tank top and oil leaning on my jeans and hands.

Once I answered, I spoke into the phone awaiting an answer.

"Hello?" my raspy voice spoke through the phone. No one came to the phone and silence crept through for nearly thirty seconds. Just when I was ready to detach the phone from my ear, a familiar voice answered, someone who I've been begging to hear.

"H-Hi Dave," Parker's tone seemed nervous as she spoke, I chuckled smiling from ear to ear. Her voice is kind of charming and cute.

"Would you look at who it is, Ms. 'I'll think about it'."

She giggled into the phone.

"I began to second guess myself, wondering I should've called. You seem like a nice guy and I thought, 'Why not see what he's up to?' ya know?"

Leaning up against the car, I took in her words.

"Ahh, so you think I'm a lil nice ass nigga huh? It's aight baybeh girl, I appreciate it. I'm just in my garage working on an old car of mine. It's been awhile since I've worked on it, so I wanna do my last touches up on it before going for a drive."

"Baybeh girl, really? I think that sounds like a cool hands on project. I never thought you'd be a mechanic, maybe you can change my break light, it's starting to become dim and I'm not trying to get a ticket. If you don't mind me asking, what type of car is it?"

Moving the phone diagonal towards my ear, I began to fold my arms getting more comfortable, "Well, when you've been in and out of jail, you learn to get over those childish games and occupy your time with something constructive. Baybeh girl gon be ya nickname, til I find a replacement. A break light is easy to fix, but this time I won't charge you just cause...The car is a 1965 Mustang my very first car actually." 

Her soft voice felt like a melody in my ears, "I'm glad you're doing something that makes you happy. Harlem is a dangerous place, but deep down, there's so much talent. Why don't you open up a shop? You'd probably make good business due to the fact that a lot of people know who you are. Many of these mechanics out here rip off people just cause they all wanna make money. Maybe you can give people reasonable prices."

Hearing her out made me actually like her even more. A woman who wanna support ya dreams is a plus. The fact that she's giving me ideas is helpful. Millie only had real conversations with me when we would spark up just to get high. even back then, she knew the game was bad for me and still pulled in the money I hustled for.

Packing up my tools, I kept the conversation going with Parker before making my way back inside to wash up some clothes I had in my clothes basket. A man gotta take care of himself, right?