8.

We all stood in lines according to our ranking waiting for mentor Li Ronghao to come. Once he did, the first thing he asked was if we slept well, to which most responded no. I looked back at Chengcheng and he sent me a wink.

"Me neither." Li Ronghao said and we laughed. "Among all of you here, raise your hand if you want to become an idol." We all did. "Those who are certain of their area of skill, raise your hand." Many of us, including myself, lowered our hands. "Now, among those who raised their hand, how many of you are certain that you can be in charge of vocal?" Only a few hands were up.

I could see Zhangjing getting tired of having his arm up and I quietly giggled. He noticed it and sent me a smile.

"Well, you will all have to sing." Li Ronghao said. "Let's sing it once disregarding rank." It, quite honestly, was a disaster.

He left us some time to practice and we started to work on the song. Some of the boys were struggling to reach the high notes, so I tried to teach them a quick technique to make it easier. They still didn't get it quite right, but the improvement was clear.

My throat was feeling dry and I forgot to pick up a water bottle, so I tried to ignore it, but we then sang the song back again and I started coughing. I was going to excuse myself to go to the bathroom when Chengcheng beat me to it.

"Take this." He said handing me a water bottle. "I have another one so you can keep it."

I thanked him and drank it.

"How are you guys doing with the high notes?" He asked us.

"Better now. Lin taught us a  technique that was really helpful." Zeren said.

"Really? Which one is it? I can't seem to reach it properly." He asked me.

I taught him the technique and about two tries later he already had it mastered. 

"Are you sure you weren't able to reach the high note? Weren't you just lying?" I asked him amazed.

Li Ronghao then asked us to sing rank by rank.

We, A rank, were the first ones and when the last line before the chorus came, I was the only one that hit the right note. Xukun was completely off, others didn't reach it and Justin didn't even sing.

B rank were the next ones. They overall did really well and they hit the high notes perfectly.

C rank was next and I was really excited to see how Chengcheng would do. He too managed to reach the high note in the end.  For the rest of them, some of them managed and some didn't. The same went for D and F ranks.

After that, it was time to learn the dance. Mentors Zhou Jieqiong and Cheng Xiao were the ones in charge of teaching us the dance moves. Some were really confused and frustrated, others somehow learned it but didn't manage to pick up the rhythm, others almost had it and only a few were doing just fine.

I was in the last group. I had it almost memorized and the dance didn't seem too difficult, although I obviously needed to perfect it.

It was then time for us to show what we had learned. We again went by rankings. This time, we clearly did much better. We were also quite synchronized, which was a plus. We definitely were happy to show that we weren't in A by sheer luck only.

"Generally speaking, A rank, I personally think that in such a short time you can reach this level, it's quite good." Mentor Cheng Xiao said and we all thanked her.

The rest of the rankings danced too, some doing it better than others but they were mostly alright, but F rank honestly did badly. They didn't seem to have memorized the dance moves. I felt sorry for them. Some of them did okay, but from an overall perspective, they still needed to work on it.

We then were excused for the rest of the day and went to have lunch. I was the first one to arrive there and get served, so I sat down on one of the empty tables. I wasn't feeling that hungry at all, so I just ate some rice and munched on an apple. After around two minutes, I felt someone covering my eyes.

"Qin Fen, isn't this a little childish?" I told him.

"I didn't even say anything! How could you possibly have guessed...?" He asked.

"Your smell." I simply said.

"My smell?!" He half yelled as if I had said something crazy. "How can you recognize me by my smell?"

People started sitting down at our table and peeked into a conversation by this point. 

"I can recognize everyone I know just by their smell." I simply said and went back to eating.

"That's nonsense," Xingjie said suddenly. "You wouldn't be able to recognize me and you know me."

"Wanna bet?" I cheekily said and left the remainings of my apple in my tray. I then stood up on the bench. "May I have your attention, please! In one hour, those of you who want to see me win a bet with Xingje go to the dorm's third-floor corridor, thank you for your attention. Bon appetit!"

I then went down and winked at Xingjie. He was staring at me incredulously.

"What should we bet?" I asked him.

"The loser has to do whatever the winner wants for a week." He suggested.

I was okay with it so we shook hands and I left.