Chapter Forty-One.

Please vote and comment! :)

Enjoy!

**

By the time I woke up the next morning, Ronnie was back.

Just the sound of the front door opening and shutting was enough to make me pull the covers over my head and bury my face into the pillow. I’d managed to sleep for about half an hour, but the fear of being in some stranger’s house in a dodgy neighbourhood and the idea of Ronnie coming back kept me awake.

And I just sat there and cried for ages.

I continued to pretend I was asleep as I heard his footsteps coming up the stairs. I wasn’t sure of the time as my phone had died and there wasn’t a clock in the room, but light was pouring through the window and the sun was pretty high in the sky. It must’ve been at least mid-day.

The footsteps stopped outside the door and I froze, keeping my eyes tightly shut. There was a pause, before the door suddenly creaked open and he walked fully into the room. I felt him stop right next to me, and his hand suddenly landed on my back, making my body stiffen even more.

“Midge?” He whispered softly, beginning to gently shake me.

Of course, I stayed completely still, trying to convince him that I was in too much of a deep sleep to hear him. He was persistent, though.

“Hey, Midge.” He continued, kneeling down and taking the covers away from my face. I felt his hand reach out and tuck a piece of hair behind my ear, which only made me confused. “Midge, wake up.”

Feeling defeated, I sucked in a deep breath and opened my eyes, jumping slightly at the close proximity between us. He chuckled at that, staring at me with the kindest expression I’d ever seen him maintain.

“Hey, sleepyhead.” He greeted me, his voice still lowered. “How are you today?”

I felt a frown fall onto my face. Was I dreaming? What the hell had happened to the Ronnie I was with last night?

Not being able to reply due to the fact that I was so surprised at how nice he was being, I edged away slightly and sat up, raking a hand through my hair and pulling it back.

“Hey, let me look at your face for a second.” He said, reaching a hand out and gently placing a finger under my chin, turning my face to the side. “Man, that’s a nasty mark you got on your cheek. Did you get into a fight at the party last night or something?”

I blinked. Surely he wasn’t serious? He was actually acting like he’d not given me the mark?

“Do you remember who it was?” He continued to question me. “Because if I find out, I’ll...”

His words cut off when I turned away from him. I couldn’t believe like he was actually acting as if he’d not hit me—twice. As if he’d not tried to rape me.

He said nothing for a moment, watching me as I shifted in the bed and ran a hand through my hair again. Eventually, he sighed.

“Well, anyway. The car’s parked outside, ready to be driven back to Huntington whenever you want.” He said.

“Can we go now?” I spoke up for the first time that morning. “Please?”

He nodded. “Sure.”

That was enough to make me silently climb out of the bed and pull my shoes on. I grabbed my jacket, pulling it around me and zipping it up, before grabbing my phone out of the pocket. I knew there was no point trying to turn it on, due to the fact that the battery had died hours ago, but I still tried. I was dreading the amounts of texts and missed calls I’d have.