Chapter Twenty.

Here you gooooooooooo! Please vote and comment! :)

**

By the time I got home in the afternoon, I was even more exhausted than I had been when I woke up.

Cleaning up took the girls and I a lot longer that we initially thought it would, because we kept getting distracted. Still, we finally got it done, and then my dad came to pick me up.

I went back to bed as soon as I got home, knowing there was no way I could get through the day this exhausted.

I woke up again at around five in the afternoon, not making any effort to move out of my bed. The house was quiet, and not much seemed to be going on, so I just lay there and typed away at my phone for a while.

It was weird. For some reason, silence had always driven me mad. I was one of those people that needed a little background noise, even if it was just the slightest ticking or murmuring of voices. But now, I didn’t mind the quiet. It was peaceful and relaxing, and relieving to know that I didn’t have a drunken mother downstairs that I’d have to drag to bed.

I’d been in Huntington Beach for only three days and I felt settled, like I’d lived here my life. I felt happy. And to me, that was huge progress.

I was jolted out of my thoughts when a light knock came on my bedroom door, and my dad called out.

“Midge, are you awake?” He asked.

“Yeah.” I replied. “Come in.”

He proceeded to enter the room, throwing me a warm smile as we walked towards me. I shifted my legs to the side so that he could perch himself on the edge of my bed.

“Are you feeling a bit better now?” He said, smiling. “You didn’t look so good earlier.”

“A lot better.” I nodded, brushing some hair out of my face.

“That’s good.” He patted my leg. “Anyway, I just thought I’d let you know that Zacky’s coming round later—in a couple of hours, actually.”

Typically, the mention of Zacky’s name gained my full attention. Once again, I began to get slightly annoyed at myself for that reason. I desperately needed to cut it out.

“It would’ve been his anniversary with his ex-girlfriend today, so I said he could come over here instead of moping at his house. You’re okay with that, right?” He’d obviously misread the irritable expression on my face and assumed that I didn’t want anyone to come over, so I quickly nodded. “We’ll only have a few beers, some pizza, maybe watch a game on TV or something. You’re welcome to join us if you want.”

It wasn’t that I didn’t want to, it was that I was trying as hard as I could to get over this little crush—or whatever it was—that I had for Zacky, because I knew it would just make situations awkward. Now that I was living here, there would be tons of times where Zacky and I would be thrown together. I couldn’t go all weak at the knees then. It’d be totally obvious.