Chapter Three.

I was totally going to upload this earlier today, but I got home from college, fell asleep and I've only just woken up xD

Please vote and comment! :D

**

They were the words I’d assumed she’d speak, but it still didn’t stop me from cupping a hand over my mouth in shock and drawing in a shaky breath.

It was completely silent in the house now, except for my mother’s whimpers and sniffles.

This couldn’t be real.

It just couldn’t. Thing like this didn’t happen in real life.

“I’m so sorry.” Mum sobbed, snapping me out of my thoughts.

Realising then that I’d shed a couple of tears of my own, I frantically swiped them from my cheeks and continued to chew on my nail, from where I was now sat on the sofa.

“You’re sorry?” I replied incredulously. “Sorry, is all you’ve got for lying to me for my whole life? Seventeen years is a long time, mum!”

“I know.” She cried. “I’ll never forgive myself for lying to you like this, Midgey.”

“Is that supposed to be reassuring?” I raised my eyebrows at her. “It’s okay because you’re punishing yourself for it?”

She had no answer to that as she stared down at her hands, rocking back and forth from where she was knelt down on the living room carpet.

“So go on then.” I spoke again, causing her to look at me. “Who is he and why isn’t he in my life?”

Like she had done so many times, she hesitated. I knew that she was trying to think of ways to lie her way out of it, but I wasn’t going to let her. Not with something like this.

“His name is Jason Berry.” She eventually said. “As far as I know, he still lives in Huntington. Our group of friends formed a band back in ninety-nine and he’s a friend and a roadie of theirs. You might have heard of them, actually—Avenged Sevenfold—they’ve done pretty great for themselves, but I left way before they started the band; haven’t seen the guys since they were about thirteen.”

If I wasn’t so much in shock about the whole situation, I probably would’ve been quite surprised by that. I loved their music.

“And as for why he’s not in your life,” She carried on, “It’s a lot more complicated than him just not being around. Things happened and I had to leave.”

“What things?” I questioned.

“It’s complicated.” She said again.

“I don’t care! Tell me!” It was getting to the point where I was becoming impatient now. I wanted the truth out and I wasn’t going to move from my spot until I got it.

“Okay, um,” She shakily breathed out, tearfully staring into space before she looked at me, “You know how I sometimes get ill and I can be quite impulsive and do stupid things?”

I simply nodded, knowing all too well how she got like that. I’d had to put up with it many times throughout my life. Having a mother with manic depression was not easy.

“I was only sixteen when I had you, Midge. After my parents found out that I was pregnant, they didn’t want to know me so I had to move in with Jason and his family.” She paused, staring into space again as if she was watching it back in her mind. “He was a great dad to you, but I was scared and under so much pressure. One night, the pressure got too much and I just took you out for a little bit.”