Chapter Seventeen.

Sorry it's been a few days :/ Please vote and comment!

**

“Here.”

I looked up from where I was sat at the kitchen island the next morning, quietly enjoying a bowl of cereal, to see Jason sliding something towards me.

“What’s this?” I frowned.

“Money.” He said it was like the most obvious thing it the world, which I guess it kind of was, but I was still quite confused.

“I can see that.” I raised my eyebrows. “Why are you giving it to me?”

“Because you didn’t bring many clothes with you,” He explained with a shrug, “So I thought you could spend today getting some more?”

That was the last thing I expected him to say. I knew I’d have to get some more clothes, as I was really running low, but I was planning on getting a job and then getting some. My mother had stopped buying me clothes the moment I was able to get my first job—which was a paper round at the age of thirteen—and I’d been buying it all myself ever since.

“I...I can’t take your money.” I blinked, sliding it back towards him.

“Midge, don’t even start that. I insist.” Once again, he slid it towards me. “I don’t know how your mom did things, but you’re living with me now. I’ve gone nearly seventeen years without being able to spend money on you. Please let me buy you some clothes. It’s really not a big deal.”

“O-okay.” I stammered. “I guess it’s not a big deal. But as soon as I get a job and I have money of my own, I’ll pay you back, I swear.”

“No need.” He rolled his eyes, reaching over and ruffling my hair. “Hey, maybe you could take Charlotte and Linds shopping with you?”

“That’s a good idea.” I nodded.

“Great. Well, I’ve got to go over to Johnny’s house in about an hour, so how about I drop you off at Matt’s on the way?”

Once again, I nodded and sent him a grin, before he exited the kitchen and went off to do his own thing. After I finished my breakfast, I grabbed my phone and dialled Charlotte’s number, waiting patiently as it rang.

“Hello?” She eventually answered.

“Hey.” I replied casually. “Are you free today?”

“Sure am!” She exclaimed. “And bored, too. Why?”

“My dad gave me money to go shopping for clothes because I’m quickly running out,” I told her. “Do you wanna come with me? And Linds, too?”

“Yes!” She sounded way more enthusiastic than I expected her too, but she soon explained why. “I was about to be subjected to helping my mom clean up after the barbecue yesterday.”