Chapter Thirty-Eight.

Sorry updates are quite far apart at the moment! I'm just finishing off college, and then I'll have more time during the summer :)

Please vote and comment!

**

Once again, I’d managed to get myself into a situation where I was pretty much completely lost and in an absolute state.

By now, I’d been going for about twenty minutes, ignoring the stitch I’d developed in my side as I propelled my legs forward, wanting to get myself as far away from Ronnie and that house as I possibly could.

My lip was still bleeding terribly, and now that I’d slightly overcome the shock of being punched by some guy for accidentally walking into him, all I could notice was the throbbing pain that it was giving out. The rain hadn’t stopped, either. I was soaked through from head to toe, my hair dripping wet with raindrops and a puddle seeping through the bottoms of my shoes as my clothes hung tightly to my skin, also drenched.

I felt like my legs wanted to give up from beneath me, and if I wasn’t careful, I’d soon be weakly dropping to the floor. I could no longer tell the difference between the raindrops and teardrops streaming down my face, as they blended together and dripped all the way down, hitting my shirt.

I urged myself to keep going, the only thing keeping my body warm being the hot temperature I’d built up from running so fast. I turned a corner, entering a new street and continuing to push my legs forward down the pavement, wanting to get out of wherever I was and back into familiar surroundings.

Of course, it refused to go without fail for me. My eyes were so blurred with tears that I could hardly see in front of me. The fact that it was now pitch black and there was only one streetlight around me certainly didn’t help, and I kept going forward, only to run straight into someone.

As my body smacked into theirs, my phone slipped out of my hand, dropping to the wet concrete. I didn’t even bother looking to see who I’d just run into as I hurriedly bent down to retrieve it, straightening myself out again and going to push past them.

Sorry.” I quickly choked out an apology, my voice cracking as I spoke the word. I didn’t wait for a reply as I continued past them, wanting to get away as quickly as possible.

But the person reached out a hand and grabbed my arm, stopping me. My body froze in fear, not daring to turn round and look at who it was. I didn’t need this. Enough shit had happened to me tonight. Couldn’t I get a break?

“Midge!” A soothing, familiar voice spoke, making me jump.

Not even that voice could calm me, but I didn’t rip away and try to run again. Instead, I just turned to face him, not matching my gaze with his.

“What happened, Midgey?” Zacky asked worriedly, loosening his grasp on my wrist but not letting go.

“Nothing...” I lied pathetically, trying to force a smile as I finally gave in and looked up at him. “I...I just got a bit lost.”

“And a bit punched by the looks of things.” He let go of my wrist, frowning as he gently placed a finger under my chin and lifted my face up to inspect it. “Wow...that’s already starting to bruise.”

Not wanting him to think I was weak and defenceless, and also worrying of how he might react if he knew someone had punched me, I weakly shrugged and tried to make up an excuse.

“Short temper.” I quickly murmured, diverting my gaze.

“Mm.” He raised an eyebrow unsurely. “Let’s get you home.”