Chapter 48 Survive Together

Ashley's POV:

I was in so much pain, and I knew I couldn't hold on much longer. It doesn't feel real, leaving everyone behind and going to some place safe. But I'll be okay. I'll be with my dad, Beth, and even Carl's mom Lori. I'm not scared to die, I'm just scared of leaving all of my loved ones behind. Everyone was in the kitchen having a discussion, about me I'm assuming. Probably about who's going to shoot me when I die. They think I'm asleep right now, but I can't sleep knowing that I might not wake up.

Everyone gathered back into the living room and stood where ever they could.

"If you guys want to say anything to me, can we do it in private?" I didn't want everyone listening to the conversations I was going to have.

"I'll go first." It was Rick. Everyone else piled outside the door to wait outside.

"Ashley I know you think I don't like you, but that's not the case. I was just so scared for my little boy that I blamed it on you. I am so sorry for that. But you're an amazing young lady and I really appreciate everything you have done, not only for Carl but for the whole group. I'll miss you, a lot." He patted my shoulder and walked out the door. So he doesn't hate me, that made me feel a lot better. I heard the door open again and it was Glenn. I smiled at him as best as I could. He pulled up a chair next to me.

"Now you know I'm not one who likes to cry, so bare me with me if I do. You're like the little sister I never had. You made my life so much better, and happier. You're such an amazing girl and I really don't know what I'll do without you." He started to cry, which made me cry. We sat there for 5 minutes with tears streaming down our faces. He stopped and wiped his tears. "But just know, you'll always have a special place in my heart Ashley, and I wish I could've known you longer. He stood up kissed my forehead and walked out the door. I don't know how I'll be able to get through this without drowning in my own tears. The door opened again and there stood Daryl.

"I can't believe this is happening to you. I shouldn't of let you two go in the woods by yourself. I knew you were a trouble maker when I met you." That made me laugh for the first time in awhile, but I stopped because it hurt my chest.

"Daryl I don't know when I'm going to die, it can be in 5 minutes or even 5 days. It's just so scary not knowing when your time will come."

"I thought you said you didn't think you could hold on much longer?"

"I think I was just over exaggerating. I can hold on for awhile I just don't know for how long. I can't live for a couple more years in this condition though."

"Just please hold on for a couple more days, we will find a doctor! Were heading out now!" Before I could protest he was already out the door getting a search group together. The door busted open and Carl came running towards me. I couldn't stay mad at him, especially now.

"Daryl and a few others left to find someone. How long can you hold on for?"

"I think maybe a day or two. If I'm lucky." He but his head between his hands and took a deep breath. I just want to forget about all of the bad memories we've had and remember all the good ones. Knowing that the next hours could be hell for everyone it's good to have a positive attitude.

"Carl, you know you're the best thing that has ever happened to me. Despite all of the bad memories between us I never stopped loving you and I never will." He looked up at me with those gorgeous blue eyes that stole my heart the first time I met him. He took my hand and kissed it and held on to it tightly.

"I'm never saying goodbye." I squeezed his hand tightly never wanting to let go.

"It's getting late, lets get some rest." He set up a bed on the floor next to me on the couch. He didn't want to sleep with me on the couch because he was scared he was going to hurt me. Better to be safe then sorry I guess. I slowly but surely fell asleep just wanting to get a good nights sleep.