Chapter 9 There's Nothing to be Sorry About

Carl's POV:

I woke up pretty early, I knew that because I was up before Ashley. She's been sleeping a lot better lately, thankfully. I got up and tried not to wake her up. I succeeded. Turns out almost everyone was up. Everyone looked at me, then each other and laughed.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"Nothing, you and Ashley were just so cute this morning." Beth said. I rolled my eyes and ate breakfast. It was 9 and I was surprised Ashley wasn't up.

"I'm probably going to take her stitches out today." Hershel said. We all smiled. Even though she's been here for only about a month, everyone considers her family. Just then she walked out and everyone laughed again. She looked confused but didn't even ask.

"Want to get those stitches out?" Hershel asked. She smiled and nodded.

"When your ready just let me know." he said.

"I'm ready!" She said. He chuckled and they headed to the room. I sat down and ate the powdered eggs. I then heard a shriek from the infirmary which made me run to the room.

"She's fine, I just cleaned a couple other cuts she had and it makes it sting sometimes." He said. I sighed in relief and walked to our cell. Where woud she get those other cuts from? I made both our beds, I'm sure we will sleep in the same bed again tonight so I put my pillow and blanket up there too. I went to go check on her and Hershel was taking her stitches out.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah it's sore but I'll be fine." She replied. I smiled and nodded. Hershel finished and gave her some pills to take. She hopped off the bed and we walked back to our cell. She then hugged me.

"Thanks for last night Carl." She said.

"It was my pleasure." I replied. She smiled.

"What happened to your bed?" She asked.

"With yours." I replied. She looked confused, but then understood and smiled.

"Don't mean to interrupt but I need to borrow your girlfriend." Beth said. I nodded and they walked out.

Ashely's POV:

Beth and I walked outside. Not in the guard tower but on the picnic table.

"How's your arm?" she asked.

"Horribly sore." I replied. She looked at me with sympathy and changed the subject.

"So you and Carl looked pretty cozy this morning." she said.

"Oh my god." I said.

"Don't be embarrassed it was cute." I smiled. I feel safe with him. Even if we're just together in our cell I feel 50% more safe. I smiled just thinking about him. I watched him and Rick farm. Beth snapped her fingers and took me out of my daze.

"do I have to yell again?" she asked.

"No!" I said a bit to loud. She laughed.

"Come on, let's go help Maggie with dinner." She said. I nodded and walked inside. We were done in 30 minutes and we all ate.

Carls POV:

"It's getting dark so I want everyone in their cells after dinner." My dad said. We all nodded. Ashley was done first and walked into our cell. My dad and I were the last to finish.

"Carl can I ask you something?" He asked.

"Sure." I replied.

"You and Ashley aren't doing anything you're not suppose to be right, you know what happened to your mom." he said.

"Dad why would you bring that up! Of course not do you think I'm a fucking idiot?!" I yelled. I was furious. He knew how I felt about bringing my mom up. I walked into my cell and climbed up with Ashley, and it looked like she was sleeping. So I started crying, I just missed my mom so much. Well I guess Ashley wasn't asleep. She put her arms around me and I cried into her shoulder. Usually I don't let my feeling out like this, but I felt like I had to. I stopped crying and she wiped my tears.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"You have nothing to be sorry about." She replied. We laid down like we did last night and I fell asleep right away.

End of Chapter 9