Chapter 28 Leave Me Alone, But Don't

Ashley's POV: 

I woke up and Carl was still sleeping. I woke up a little later today since I didn't get to sleep until about 2:00 AM. I checked the time and it was already 10:00. Carl should wake up soon so I went to the cafeteria to get him some breakfast. I walked back into the cell and he was awake. I sighed in relief. I walked over to him and handed him some breakfast, but he just gave me a dirty look, like a glare.

"Uhm, I got you some breakfast." I said handing him the tray. He snatched it from me and set it on the table next to him.

"Uhm, did I do something?" I asked.

"Hmm well what haven't you done? You've made the danger level of this prison even higher then it already was, you made the governor want to fight us like 10 times, and oh yeah one last thing. YOU GOT ME SHOT!" He yelled. I just stood there not saying a word. He was right it is my fault. 

"I'm sorry." I said. He didn't reply.

"Just don't talk to me ever again, leave me alone." He said turning his back towards me. But I wasn't finished.

"Okay fine, coming from the boy who said "none of this is your fault" and "I promise" and lets not forget about "I love you." DON'T SAY THINGS UNLESS YOU FUCKING MEAN IT!" I said. He didn't respond. 

"Fine, don't worry you don't ever have to see me again." I said walking out. He didn't say a word, and I think that's what hurt the most. I ran into our cell and took all my belongings. I threw out the pictures he took of us at the cabin and left them all over the floor, stepping on them. I ran to the empty cell at the end of the hall. Thank god it was far away from Carl's. It was just a matter of time now until someone comes looking for me asking what was wrong. I unpacked my stuff and laid down on the bottom bunk. I was trying so hard not to cry, but it happened. I felt the tears streaming down my face and the loud sobs coming out of my mouth. I heard footsteps coming down the hall. I knew they were coming to look for me. I just didn't know who.

"Ashley?" It was Maggie. I wiped my tears and looked up at her. She came over to me and sat down.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I was waiting for Carl to wake up and when I came back he looked at me with a glare, I then asked what I did and he said this whole thing with the governor is my fault, and he thinks it's my fault that he got shot. I then yelled at him and walked out and now I'm here." I said. She looked shocked.

"You know he's not actually mad at you right? He's just angry and let all of his anger out on the first person he saw." She replied.

"No he meant it, we're over now and it's going to stay like that. I don't want to see him ever again." She just sighed, not knowing what to say.

"I'm sorry, but I'm going to the guard tower, I just need to think." I said and she nodded. I'm sure she understood. I walked past everyone, making sure not to make eye contact. I climbed up into the guard tower and sat in the corner with my knees to my chest. So many things have happened here. I got shot, Carl got shot, Carl asked me to be his girlfriend here. I broke down crying again. I knew I shouldn't be doing this but I just couldn't help it. I've never felt so weak before. I wanted to leave the whole prison just so I could never see him again. But I couldn't do that I decided to sleep in the guard tower, so I won't have to see him. That should work.

Carl's POV:

When Ashley left the room I punched the bed repeatedly, I was so mad. I wasn't mad at Ashley but the whole world around us. So I took it out on her the girl I loved, the girl who hates my guts, the girl who will not ever speak to me again. I ran my fingers through my hair not knowing what to do. My right arm still hurt like hell,but I didn't care right now. I looked up and saw Maggie standing in the doorway.

"I talked to Ashley." Maggie said.

"And?" I asked.

"And she thinks you hate her, moved out of your cell and is now moving into the guard tower, and is becoming more and more depressed by the minute." She said. Why do I have to be such a dick? 

"I wouldn't talk to her for awhile, unless you want to lose a finger." She said and walked out. Wow, Ashley really thinks I hate her. She even moved out of our cell? I guess that's it. I guess I lost my one chance of love.

~2 weeks later~

Ashley's POV:

It's been 2 weeks since the incident happened with me and Carl. I haven't talked to him much and luckily I don't have to see him since he can't go outside and work. We often pass each other in the hallways, not even daring to look at each other. The group is trying to make us talk to each other but that wouldn't be happening. I mostly stay outside, unless I have to go eat dinner or go to the bathroom. Carl and I sit far away from each other at the table. He sits in one corner and I sit in the other. I was the first one done, like usual. I'm never really hungry anymore, I only eat a couple of bites. The group is trying to make me eat more. But I don't listen. I left my food on the table, just incase someone wanted it. I decided to go to the library and read. I read a new book everyday, it gets things off of my mind. I picked a random book and started to read it without looking at the title. I heard the door open, please dont' be Carl. But with my luck it was. I looked away and continued to read. This will be awkward. He looked away and grabbed one of his comics and started to walk out.

"I've read that book, it sucks." He said and walked out. I slammed the book close and threw it across the room. That's the only thing he can say to me? Really? I decided to leave the library and go to my 'room.' But Rick pulled me aside.

"We're going on a run, want to come?" He asked. I nodded. Wow they usually never let me do that. We were leaving in 10 minutes so I went to get my weapons ready. I walked outside to the car and saw the group of people. Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, and Carl. I walked up to Rick.

"Uhm you know what, I think you guys have enough people I'm sure you can handle it." I said walking away but he pulled me back.

"Don't even try, you're coming." He said.

Great. I got into the car with Glenn and Maggie, I was deffinetly not going with Carl. I got into the backseat of the car and we headed out to the place where Rick, Daryl, and Carl found me. Seriously? Here? We parked our cars and walked up to the store. We all walked in as a group but got seperated. I was off on my own looking for stuff to get Judith. I was reaching for the formula when I got pushed down to the ground. The man grabbed me by my hair and pulled me up.

"Give me your weapons or I swear to god I'll shoot you right here." He said. I had my knife in my belt where he couldn't see it so I just gave him my gun. I looked to the corner of my eye and saw Carl with his gun pointed at him. He man still wasn't letting go of me.

"You know I might have to just take you back with me." He said. Before I could reply Carl shot the man bringing him down to the ground. I looked at him and without thinking I ran to him and pulled him into a hug. He tensed up so I pulled away.

"Oh uhm, sorry." I said. I missed him like crazy. He stared at me and then kissed me. It took me awhile to react to what was going on but then I finally kissed back. We pulled away and I was speechless. 

"No I'm sorry for being a dick. I didn't mean anything." He said.

"I know me neither." I said and he smiled. We went back to get Judiths formula and went to find the rest of the group. They already knew what was going on and they smiled at us.

"FINALLY!" Maggie half shouted. I laughed at her reaction and we headed out to the car.

"You saved my life the first time I met you here, and you saved it again." I said and he kissed my forehead. 

"And I'll do it everyday if we have to." He said.

I smiled knowing that no matter what happens, Carl and I will always be together. Forever.

“Every couple has ups and downs, every couple argues, and that’s the thing—you’re a couple, and couples can’t function without trust.”

End of Chapter 28

A/N: You guys are so amazing. I now almost have 2oo votes and almost 6k reads! That's insane. I never knew this story would be liked so much! I'll be writing this story for a long time. This book will probably have about 75 chapters and then I might even write a second book! Love you guys x!