Chapter 31 Seven Days

Carl's POV:

It's been a week since Beth passed away. No one was over it yet. Ashley still isn't talking much and spends most of her time in the guard tower. Maggie doesn't talk at all. She spends most of her time on walker duty. Everyone else is just distant. I really wanted to help Ashley as much as I could. I was thinking of ideas on what I can do, I opened my drawer so I could get a pencil and paper. On top of it was something shiny. What is that? I took it out and realized it was the necklace I forgot to give Ashley. Oh my god how did I forget this? This is what I can use. This will be perfect.

Ashley's POV:

7, 7 days since Beth was bit, 7 days since I lost all hope, 7 days since I haven't said a word. I don't think I'll ever be able to get over this. She didn't deserve for that to happen to her. She was so full of light and hope, like Ellie. I think that's why Beth was so important to me, she reminded me so much of Ellie. They both are gone now, leaving me with one reason to keep on living. That was Carl. Carl is now the only one keeping me going. I haven't talked to him though for 7 days. I want to, it's just I feel like if I try to talk I'll cry. I'm sure he wouldn't care though, he's seen me cry before. All I can think about is the memories Beth and I made these past couple months. The day I arrived I had a feeling we would become great friends, and we did.

I heard footsteps coming up the guard tower and they were Carls, I could tell. I was right he was standing against the door way with a worried look on his face. He was worried about me again. He sat next to me without saying a word. He had both of his hands in his pockets and he was looking at me, I was looking at Beth's grave like I did everyday. There were flowers all over it from everybody. I pick new ones everyday for her. The snow was starting to cover them, but that didn't mean I would stop. I let a tear slip down my cheeks without even noticing until I felt Carls thumb wipe it away.

"It's okay to cry." He said. He was right I had to let it out eventually. I put my face into my hands and took a deep breath until I heard the sobs come out of my mouth and Carls arms wrap around my waist. He didn't say anything and he didn't need to. His comfort was all I needed. We stayed in this position until I was finished, which wasn't until after awhile. When I was done I used my sweater sleeves to wipe my tear stained cheeks.

"Th-thank you C-Carl." I said between remaining sobs. He rubbed my back and nodded.

"You remember when I asked you to be my girlfriend in this exact spot?" He asked.

"Of course." I responded.

"Well as you know we got interrupted. And I didn't get to finish." He said. I was a little confused. Until he pulled something out of his pocket. It was a silver necklace with our initials carved into it. He put in it my hands and I held it carefully.

"Carl this is gorgeous." I said.

"It's for a gorgeous girl like you." He said. I gave him back the necklace so he could out it on for me. I lifted my hair away from my neck and felt the cold silver touch my skin. His fingers were so careful to get the chain through the loop. When he did I turned back around to face him.

"But are you okay?" I asked. He looked down to the floor.

"Honestly no, I'm just tired of losing people. I don't want anything to happen to anyone. Especially you or Judith." He said. I took his hand

"You won't lose Judith. Everyone's extra protective of her." I said.

"Well what about you?" He asked. I didn't know what to respond with.

"See! I can't protect you! Or anybody! What are we going to do with people always on our backs? I can't lose you!" He said standing up and running his hands through his hair. He always does that when he is frustrated.

"Don't you dare blame this on yourself Carl! You were barley awake when this all happened!" I said standing in front of him.

"But what about you? You've gone through so much shit that I could've stopped!" He replied. I didn't reply. I just wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. He mirrored my actions, wrapping his arms around my waist. I smiled. I missed Carl. I really need to stop avoiding him when this stuff happens. It helps me to just talk to him, and clearly he needed me right now too. We stayed like that for a couple of minutes not wanting to let go.

"Will you come out of this guard tower please? I miss sleeping next to you!" He replied and I giggled.

"Of course." I said. I picked up my blanket and pillow and walked back to the cell block. As I was walking in everyone smiled at me, even Maggie. I smiled back at them and walked into our cell. I set them down on the bed. I was cleaning up a couple of my things when I heard Daryl calling everyone down. Oh no, what now? We walked out of our cell to meet everyone in the cafeteria. When we got down there Daryl was standing by the table.

"Okay, we have a good idea on where Beth's kidnapper is. We have to find him so this doesn't happen again! I also need to find out some more information on why this happened." He said.

"Who's all going?" I quietly asked.

"Not a lot of people. Just me and Glenn." He replied. That's a good group to go. We don't want a lot of people gone, you never know when something can happen. They were heading out after dinner. We all ate dinner pretty quietly. When we were done we said goodbye to Daryl and Glenn and headed back into our cells. I walked by Beth's cell for the first time since this all went down. I walked in and sat down on her bed. I smiled just thinking about all of the memories.

"I remember when I was really sick, and you took care of me in this bed right here. And when we laughed about all of the pictures you took on my phone." I said to myself, acting like she was there.

"But I love you Beth, I'll never forget you. I hope you're happy up there." I said and then left the room. I walked into my cell which was right next to mine. I grabbed my phone which was on the side table. I looked at it and picked it up. I was looking for this one picture in particular. The one of me and Beth. We took it when we were outside on that rainy day. Our hair was soaked and our clothes were sticking to our bodies. Our faces looked funny, like a normal teenage picture you would see on any social media. I'm keeping this forever. I heard footsteps walking towards my cell, I thought it was Carl but it was Maggie.

"How are you holding up?" She asked.

"I'm better today, how about you?" I asked.

"Okay, I don't think seven days is enough, but I'm getting there." She said and I nodded.

"But Beth really loved you, even though you guys were a couple years apart, you were her best friend." She said.

"Thanks Maggie, it's nice to hear that. She loved you very much also. I remember when she found out that you were on the battle team she was so scared. She thought she was going to lose you. But I reassured her that she wouldn't." I responded.

"Thanks Ashley." She said and walked out. I'm glad I could help her in this situation. A couple seconds later Carl walked in and climbed up next to me.

"Are you okay?" He asked. I nodded.

"Thanks to you, I am." I said and smiled. He leaned in and kissed me. We pulled apart shortly after.

"I love you." I said.

"I love you too." He said and kissed my forehead.

"We should get to bed, you look exhausted." He said and I nodded. He was right, I was very tired. I haven't been able to sleep much the past few days with all the nightmares I've been having. I laid my head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around my torso. I still had my necklace on that he gave me, I'm never taking it off. It's the best gift I've gotten. A couple minutes later I heard his snoring, I missed hearing it Seven days I've gone without sleeping next to him, seven days I've gone with out touching him, seven days I've gone without... Him. What was I thinking? I'm never making that mistake again. That night I didn't have that nightmare about Beth. I had sweet dreams, for once.

"It's foolish and wrong to mourn then people who have died. Rather we should thank god that they lived."

End of Chapter 31