Chapter 35 I'm Okay

Ashley's POV:

That night everyone got to know Ellie. Ellie sits in Beth's old spot now. I'm starting to think we can have a good life now. We seem to have no more enemies, but we still always have to look behind our shoulders at all times. My mom is already part of our 'family' here, she's made good friends with everybody. Ellie is pretty shy around some people still, but she'll warm up eventually. I told Ellie that tonight I would have a 'sleepover' with her in the guard tower since she didn't want to sleep alone her first night here. I went to my cell and grabbed my blanket and pillow.

"Where are you going?" Carl asked.

"Ellie wants me to sleep with her in the guard tower tonight, since it's her first night." I replied.

"You're leaving me?" He asked sadly.

"I'll be back first thing in the morning, I promise." I replied. He walked over and kissed me.

"You better." He said and smiled.

"I will! Goodnight, love you!" I said. He laughed at me.

"Love you too!" He said before climbing into bed. I walked outside into the cool winter air. Thankfully it doesn't snow much here. Ellie was looking out the window of the tower and looked sad. I curiously climbed up to the tower to meet her.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I'm just upset that there is so much we can't do. We can't go to high school, get our license, go to prom, start a family. It's just so sad to think about." She replied. I feel that way all the time. There is so much we can't do now.

"I guess we'll have to get use to it." I said.

"You're not upset though?" She asked.

"Of course I am! I'm just happy I'm alive! And I have you and Carl!" I replied.

"I won't be able to get a husband either, you guys have a good chance. I'm so jealous of your relationship!" She said. I didn't know what to say, I was never good with advice.

"Ellie you still have a chance! I totally gave up but then I met him and it happened! You know how unconfident I am." I replied. She out of all people should know.

"I'm sorry, I know. I just miss our normal lives." She said while crying a little. "Can I have some time to myself? I know I asked you to stay with me, but I'm okay." She said. I nodded and walked outside again, this time being colder. I quietly opened the door and silently walked back to my cell. Carl was sound asleep, not like I was surprised. I climbed up to the bed and into my spot. I'm very worried about Ellie, I hope she'll be okay.

~The Next Morning~

I woke up and went to go look for Ellie. She wasn't in the cafeteria so I went to the guard tower to see if she was still asleep. She wasn't there, but there was a piece of paper and a pen. I walked over to it and picked it up.

Ashely I am so sorry, but I have to leave. I'm with a bad group of people, and I don't want you getting hurt. One of the men kidnapped Beth, I'm so sorry I had no idea until you told me about it. Just remember I did this for you, I love you. By doing this you, Carl, and everyone else will be safe. I'll see you again someday.
-Ellie

I guess I should've known. And to be honest, I guess I'm not surprised, or shocked. I walked inside to tell everyone, they were more shocked then I was.

"Ashley I'm so-"

"Carl I'm fine. Just everyone, be prepared. We can never be to safe anymore." I said and walked away from everybody. I'm not crying over this anymore. All I can do is prepare. I know they'll come eventually, they always do. You just never know when.

~3 hours later~

We were all sitting down eating dinner when we heard a noise outside. I didn't ask any questions. I tossed everyone their weapons and headed outside, ignoring everyone telling me to stop. I walked right up to the gates to meet everyone standing there.

"Who are you and what the hell do you want?" I asked.

"Get the fuck out of here little girl, this is adult buisness." He replied. That made me lose my temper, I don't care how old I am. I will fight.

"Ashley get away from there!" Daryl yelled. But I didn't budge.

"You're Ellie's group huh? Which one of you ugly fucks kidnapped Beth?" I asked. A man walked over to me and put his face against the gate.

"That would be me bitch, I hope she got eaten slow, and by the way we have Ellie. But lets just say she may not be breathing." He replied laughing. I threw the end of my gun against his face, making him fall onto the ground. By that time Rick was at the fence while Daryl was carrying me away!

"DARYL STOP! HE'S THE REASON BETH IS DEAD!" I yelled making him stop dead in his tracks.

"What did you say?" He asked.

"YOU HEARD ME! HE'S THE REASON SHE'S GONE!" I yelled again. He put me down and started walking towards the gates by rick. I ran towards Carl.

"He's the reason Beth is gone! And he said he killed Ellie too!" I said furiously.

"Wait what?" Maggie asked. I just nodded. She took her knife and ran towards the gate. I could faintly hear the conversation.

"What do you want?" Daryl asked.

"All of your shit of course!" The man said.

"That ain't happening you dick." He spat at him.

"Do it or else we'll shoot everyone." He replied. There were only about 6 men. We could take them out if we wanted to. And trust me I wanted to.

"Okay fine." Daryl said. He started walking back put motioned is to our positions. We were getting ready to fight. I faintly nodded and slowly walked up the guard tower with Carl!

"What the hell are you doing?!" The man yelled and aimed his gun towards me.

"GO!" I yelled. The man shot his gun at me, but Carl pulled me up in time so I wasn't hit. I hurried up to the window and shot the man in the head, thank god my aim was better. I couldn't see anyone else so I was hoping they were okay because there were still gun shots. I hid in the corner because I was out of ammo. I buried my face in to my knees because I was to scared to look. When the noises were over I slowly peaked out the window and saw all the bad men dead, but the rest of the group surrounding a body. I ran down, scared to find out who it was. When I got down I pushed through everyone and saw Daryl with a gunshot to his leg.

"Get him inside!" I yelled! Rick threw him over his shoulder and ran to the infirmary. Hershel was already in the room, waiting for his next patient. Rick set him down on the bed and walked out, not wanting to see or hear anything. I went to go find Carl.

"CARL!" I yelled. I heard footsteps running towards me and Carl running towards me. I ran over to him meeting him halfway, throwing my arms around his neck.

"This is awful." I said faintly. He didn't reply because he was thinking the exact same thing.

"I'm sorry about Ellie." He said. I pulled away and looked at him.

"Don't be, I should've known. It was to good to be true.

"Never get to comfortable, its a matter of time before it all comes crashing down on you."

END OF CHAPTER 35

A/N: SEASON FINALE TONIGHT! IM FREAKING OUT! Please don't forget to vote.