Chapter 1 The Arrival

Chapter 1

Ashley's POV:

It was a normal Saturday afternoon. I was hanging out with my bestfriend Ellie, like we do every weekend.

"Do you ever think about the future?" She asked.

"Nope, I can't really imagine me being married with kids." I replied.

"Well I can, I bet you'll find him soon, like young love. Everyone will think you'll break up in like a month but you will end up getting married on a beach, and I'll be the maid of honor giving a heart warming speach." I laughed at her response.

"That would be the day."

My best friend is Ellie. She's been my best friend for only about a year now, but it feels like forever. She was my height and very slim. She had wavy blonde hair and blue eyes. She only lives 2 blocks away from me so we're together a lot, well when she wasn't busy with all of her sports and traveling.

"I have to go, I have a swim meet." She said. I sighed and walked her to the door.

"I'll text you later."

"I'll text back!" I laughed and closed the door.

I was now watching a random movie on TV. Then out of no where a news broadcast came on. "There has been a sudden disease outbreak that's spreading through the bites of infected people. I advise everyone to stay inside and lock your doors." Bites infecting people? I've never heard of such a thing.

Is this a bad dream? Is this really happening? Sadly it wasn't an awful nightmare. I was home by myself because my parents were working. I tried calling them but the lines were dead.

"Shit." I said panicking, I look outside my front door and see 5 of those things outside my front door, banging on it to get in. It was going to bust any minute. They were disgusting looking. I couldn't stay here and let those things get me. I look out my backyard and it looked clear. I packed a bag. I took clothes, food and water, cell phone, charger, a picture of my family, and other essentials. I was only 14 so I couldn't drive, I had no choice but to take my bike. My parents had no weapons so I took my moms sharp kitchen knives. "Well here goes nothing." I thought to myself. I was actually doing this, risking my life for the first time ever. I ran outside to my garage and grabbed my bike, I hesitantly opened the garage door and pedaled on my bike. I pedaled so fast I couldn't feel my legs, but I couldn't stop. I decided to go to my middle school, it had to be safer then my house. Before I could get in I saw an infected person.

"That's disgusting." It started walking towards me, it's moans growing louder by the second, the flesh rotting from it's skin, it's teeth chomping at me. The sad thing is, this was a living person. I ran up to it and stabbed it in the chest, that didn't work it was still alive. I then tried the head, and the moans stopped. So I guess that's where you aim for.

I ran up to the top floor and went to the computer room. I got on my teachers computer and looked up Atlanta, Georgia, since it's the city and state I live in. A bunch of links popped up so I clicked the first one. It basically says the same thing the news reporter said. But now it says hundreds of people have been killed and come back to life as something else. I was so scared, all I could think about was my friends and family. What if I never saw them again? I just broke down crying. I was definitely a weak person. Then I asked myself. "Will I even be able to survive this?"

5 months later.

The date is July 4th 2014. Right now I would be with all my friends watching the fireworks. But no since the world has ended I guess that won't be happening. So let me tell you about myself. My names Ashley, I have auburn hair and green eyes. I'm pretty tall for a 14 year old girl. I used to be a little curvy, but now I can barley get any food so I'm pretty skinny. I still miss my friends and family, but I don't let it affect me.

Let's just say things have changed for me. I'm not weak anymore I kill every one of those things I see and don't even get scared anymore. I haven't seen a living soul since this has happened. Thankfully I don't have to go on very many runs. My schools water still runs so I still get to take showers. It's hard though because I don't know when those things will break in here. Lately some of them have been getting in some how so I'm going to need a new place soon.

I had to go on a quick run for water and soap. Even though it's the end of the world and I have no one to impress, I don't want to look or feel dirty. I walk over to the small store that was right across the street. I had 2 of the things walking towards me. I took my knife out from my pocket and stabbed 2 of them in the head. "Kill #84." I said to myself. I like to keep count, it's not like theres anything else to do. I started to become a pro with the knife, considering it was the only weapon I had. I grab a small basket and get everything I need. It only took about 5 minutes. I was about to walk out when all of a sudden a hand was put on my mouth and I got thrown down to the ground.

I tried to get out of the strangers grasp, but he was to strong. "Sshh." He said and pointed at about 10 of those things in the next aisle. "Shit." Just then 2 men came in and brought them down like that. The boy took his hand off and helped me up.

"Sorry about that. I'm Carl by the way." He said to me. I was surprised by the way he looked. He looked around my age with medium brown hair, shiny blue eyes, and freckles along his nose and cheeks. He also had a sheriffs hat on, shadowing his forehead.

"Ashley, and thanks!" Then the 2 men came over and introduced themselves to me. There names were Daryl and Rick.

"Are you all by yourself?" Daryl asked.

"Yeah, have been since the very start. I live in the school across the street, somehow managing to survive."

"Well a girl your age shouldn't be living by herself, why don't you come with us we have a safe prison with about 10 others." Rick said. I thought about it for a minute. I did need a new place to live, and it would be nice to be around people.

"Yeah sure."

"Great now Carl can have a friend!" Daryl said laughing. I could tell me and him would get along.

"Can I go get my things before we leave?"

"Sure I'll go with you, Rick and Carl will pull the car up front."

We walked to the school and up to the top floor to get my things. As we were walking back there was one of those things blocking the exit. Daryl pulled out his crossbow and shot it.

"That's a bad ass crossbow you got there." He laughed.

"Thanks I've had it since I was a teenager." We went out to the car and Daryl kicked Carl out of the front and made him sit in back. It was a 10 minute drive and then we got to the prison a girl in here 20's opened the gate so we could get in.

"That's Maggie." Carl said pointing at her. I nodded. She had short brown hair, and was tall and slim. We got into the prison and Rick introduced me to everyone. There was a girl only a couple years older then me. She seemed really sweet. We could be good friends.

"So where should I sleep?"

"There's an empty bed in Carl's cell if that's alright." Rick said.

I've never slept in the same room as a boy before. We nodded and Carl showed me to the cell. I unpacked my stuff. Carl seemed like a really nice boy. He was super cute too. Considering I haven't seen a boy my age in months. We sat on our bunks and talked for a little bit. I learned that he turned 15 not to long ago. Just then his dad Rick came in and told Carl to help him with the farming.

"See you later Ashley." He winked at me and then turned around and left.

"What was that all about?" I'm tired after that drive. I guess I could rest for a bit.

End of chapter 1