Chapter 17 Guard Duty

Ashley's POV:

"What the hell was that?" I asked. Everyone just looked at each other not knowing what to do.

"I'll go check it out." Daryl said. We nodded and he walked out.

"Rick!" He screamed. He ran outside and we all followed. I couldn't believe it. There was a huge hole in the gate and the walkers were getting in. Everyone grabbed their gun and knife. Carl grabbed my hand and took me up to the guard tower. Luckily everyone eventually got up to a guard tower. It took us a long time since they were everywhere. Rick and Glenn went over to the hole in the gate and Glenn patched it up while Rick backed him up. Even after they patched it we still had about 10 in the yard. Rick and Glenn took care of it though since we were all out of ammo. We all ran down the guard towers and into the yard.

"Do we even need to ask questions about who did this and how it happened? Maggie asked. We all nodded. It was obviously the governor trying to warn us.

"We need to leave. He's not going to stop." Hershel said.

"No we fought our way in here. And we are fighting to stay." Rick said. We nodded. He was right though. This place must've been full of walkers before they got here. Everyone considered it home.

"I'm just surprised he came back twice in one day." Glenn said. That's how I felt too. You would think he's had enough losing.

"Well it won't be a third. We're going to have guard duties for now on at all times. Glenn and I will go first." He said. That sounded like a good idea. Everyone went their separate ways after that.

"Daryl can we go on that run now?" I asked. He nodded and walked over to one of the cars. I asked Maggie to go but she has the next shift so she can't. We drove out of the gates and headed out.

We went to a pharmacy so we could get medicine too. We split up and got what was on our list. I only had 2 items so I was done quickly. I went to find Daryl but came across walkers in an aisle. I don't want to risk taking them out by myself.

"Shit" I thought to myself. Just then I heard more footsteps coming from behind me. Luckily it was Daryl. I pointed to the walkers and he told me to follow him. I did and we made it out of the building without being noticed. That was a lot easier then I expected.

"When do you have watch?" I asked him.

"After Maggie." He said.

"Do you think I could get a watch time. I really want to help. He thought for a minute and nodded.

"But I want someone with you." He said.

"Carl?" I asked. He thought about it for a second and then nodded.

"Okay but don't do anything I wouldn't approve of." He said. I laughed.

"Of course." I replied. We arrived at the prison and I ran to Beth's cell and gave her the supplies I got.

"Oh thank you so much!" She said. I nodded and walked out. Poor thing. I walked into Carls cell and saw him on my phone.

"Whatcha doing?" I asked. He jumped a little and laughed.

"Oh just looking through your pictures." He said.

"Oh god." I replied. I went to go sit by him since I haven't seen my pictures in awhile. He was on my pictures from the summer of 2013. I laughed just thinking about what was going on the moment we took those. We then got to the picture from my friends end of the year party. It was a picture of me and my group of friends I had, it was one of the only pictures we all had together. I got tears in my eyes just thinking about all the people that were there. There was probably about 30. Luckily Carl didn't see me crying so I wiped my tears before he could see. He continued on looking through them. We looked through a lot of them. Pictures of me and Ellie, the first day of school, and funny videos me and my friends took. He then got to these pictures from a photo shoot I did.

"You're so gorgeous." He said I smiled at him. He smiled looking at them.

"I'm serious." He said. He then kissed me and then Daryl came in.

"Woah didn't need to see that." He said and we laughed.

"Would you guys be okay doing a night shift?" He asked. I nodded.

"Great, you might want to get some sleep then, your shirt starts at 11 and ends at 1. When it's over go wake Rick up for his shift. We nodded.

"And if I catch you guys doing that again I'll rip your tongues out." He said. We laughed and so did he. He walked out of the room so Carl and I could sleep. It was now 6 so our shift starts in 5 hours. I always had trouble falling asleep during the day, but I eventually did.

Daryl woke us up and it was 10:58.

"You're turn." He said and walked out. I rubbed my eyes to wake up and then got my weapons. We both walked out and walked up to the guard tower.

"I remember the last time we were out here." I said.

"Yeah when I finally asked you out." He said.

"And I got shot." I said.

"I was hoping to leave that detail out." He said. I laughed. I also remember when we weren't even dating and he helped me when Ellie was a walker. But I didn't want to bring that up.

"You up to go somewhere tomorrow?" He asked.

"Where?" I asked.

"That's the surprise." He said. I nodded.

"Sure." I said. He smiled. I'm so impatient so this will be awful for me.

"Will your dad care if we go?" I asked.

"Nope, I already asked him. He said we needed a break." He said. I smiled and nodded. I don't know why I need a break. I've been on rest for 2 weeks, but Carl has been working his butt of for his dad so Carl does deserve it. I felt bad for leaving though.

"How long will we be gone?" I asked.

"Only a day or 2." He said. I nodded. It'll be nice not sleeping in a prison cell for a night I guess. He pulled my phone out of his pocket.

"You still have that?" I asked laughing.

"Well duh, I'm only half way done." He replied. I laughed and let him continue I looked over and he had a frown on his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing, I just miss being able to do activities like this." He said. I nodded, I felt the exact same way. We had about an hour left of watch. He then got to the last of my pictures and laughed. I got curious and saw the pictures Beth took. He then got to the picture I took of him sleeping.

"What is this?" He asked. I just laughed.

"Oh so this is funny?" He asked.

"Very." I replied.

"Okay, I'll get you back." He replied.

"Doubt it." I replied. "Whatever floats your boat." He said. I just smiled. He thinks he's going to get revenge on me. How funny. Our shift was over in no time so Carl went to go wake up Rick. I went to our cell and fell asleep immediately before Carl could even get back.

End of chapter 17

AN: thank for reading! I would really appreciate it if you voted for my story! It encourages me to write/update more:)