Chapter 44 Leaving

Ashley's POV:

The drive was full with complete silence, Carl was still unconscious making me very worried. Rick kept his eyes on the road as he drove and Glenn was fidgeting with his gun. I don't know how we managed to get out, I thought for sure we were goners. I on the other hand was emotionless. My hands were shaky, but my face was full of complete anger. When we arrived to the prison Rick grabbed Carl and calmly walked inside with Glenn and I behind him. Maggie hurried over to open the gates for us. Rick walked right past her without saying a word. As I was walking she stopped me dead in my tracks.

"You're not hurt?"

"No, I'm fine. It's Carl we should worry about."

"Come on then, let's go check on him." We silently walked back towards the prison, meeting everyone in the cafeteria. Carl was awake, but didn't even bother looking at me.

"What's going on in here?" I asked.

"We made the hard decision to leave the prison. It's just not safe anymore. Were leaving before dark." Rick said. We were outside for 5 minutes, and I come back to this? I didn't say anything though because I knew it was the right choice. "So everyone let's get to packing." We all parted and headed towards our cells.

Carl and I packed our bags in silence. He looked nervous about something, but I don't know what.

"Ashley I need to, um talk to you." He quietly said.

"Okay, what is it?"

"I don't think it's safe for us to be together. It seems like were causing danger to each other, and we won't be alive if we keep it up." I felt my heart break into a million tiny pieces.

"You're leaving me?"

"I don't want to, I just think it's best if we-"

"Stop! I get it, you don't want to feel responsible for my stupid actions anymore right? Well fine.

"Ashley I'm sorry!"

"Yeah. Me too." I grabbed my bag and walked out of the cell, not letting him see my tears. It'll be dark soon, so it's time for a new home and a new future.

~One month later~

All we do is drive now. There is no where safe we can stay for the nights so we have to keep driving. We had no specific destination, just had to avoid walkers and other humans. I have hardly said a word the past month, I was getting more stressed and depressed though out the days. Carl and I? Haven't said a word to each other in a month. I actually haven't really seen him either. When we stop for supplies I just stay in the car, not wanting to look at him. He gave up on us, and I don't think I could forgive him for that.

Carls POV:

Dumb ass. That's what I am. I let my dad tear Ashley and I apart. I didn't want to end it with her, it was my dads choice. He said "you two will be safer and more likely to survive." I believed him at the time, but realize it was stupid. Ashley hasn't even looked at me since that day. We ride in separate cars and she doesn't get out of hers. My dad called everyone out for a discussion today, so that means I have to see her. Everyone piled out of their cars one by one. Ashley was the last one out of hers, and I didn't even recognize her. She was so skinny and had a look of sadness on her face. I got interrupted from my thoughts when I heard my dad's voice.

"I'll get right to it. Were right by a mall so we are getting supplies. We will have groups." I only paid attention to mine which was Daryl, Michonne, and Ashley. We were in charge of getting formula and clothes for Judith. We walked into the mall before separating from the others and into our group. We found the baby story on the other side of the mall. We all split up, but I made sure to stay close to Ashley.

She was currently looking at the baby clothes, and I saw her crack a small smile. That was enough to melt my heart.

"It was my dad's decision you know."

"Um, what?"

"That I left you, he said it was for the better."

"Walkers!" It was Daryl. There were about 10 right outside the door, and then 20, and then more. We all ducked down. I'm not sure if we will make this, so I'm taking my chances.

"Ashley we were together for months, I loved you, you loved me. And In fact I still love you. If we don't make this I just need to know you feel the same."

"Carl you left me when I needed you the most. But my love for you didn't leave me." I smiled widely. She still loves me. I heard the door bust open and shots being fired. Before getting up and helping I pulled her into a kiss, knowing it might be our last one. I then got up and pulled my gun out, there were still 20 and more coming. Shit this is insane. Ashley pulled her gun out to and started to fire. We heard more gun shots from behind the walkers as they all fell one by one reveling my dad and the others.

"RUN NOW!" I grabbed Ashley's hand and ran as fast as our legs could take us. We turned the corners and ran to the entrance we came from, surprisingly only running into a few walkers. We quickly shot them down and ran into the cars. Ashley and I jumped into the back of the truck and we drove away, leaving all the walkers behind.

"So right now where do we stand?" I asked her.

"Back together, one step at a time. Let's keep it secret for now because I don't think you're dad would be to happy to find out."

"You know what, I don't care what he thinks. I'm 15 almost 16 and I need to start taking care of myself."

"You know I meant it though right?" She asked.

"Meant what?"

"My feelings for you never left." I didn't say anything, just pulled her into my arms and kissed her head, not letting her out of my sight.

"There is no denying that love is hard to forget, and easy to fall into."

A/N: I made that quote up myself. :) thanks for reading and voting! Love you guys!