Chapter 24 Meeting Old Friends

Carl's POV:

Yesterday was a tough day for everyone, especially Ashley. I feel like such a bad boyfriend  that I let that happen, she keeps saying that it's not my fault and I couldn't do anything. But I know I could've. I got up at 6:57 am. That was pretty early for a teenager, and apparently for everyone else to because the only other person who was up was my dad. 

"You're up early." He said.

"I had trouble sleeping last night, it's not a big deal." I replied. I couldn't tell him about Ashley because she said she didn't want anyone to know. To be honest, I wasn't very good at keeping secrets. But I had to for Ashley's sake. 

"Well I got to get to farming, we don't have much time before winter comes." He said.

"I'll help." I replied. He smiled. I could tell my dad was worried we wouldn't have enough food for winter, but I'm sure we will. We still have tons of canned food. I grabbed my jacket and walked outside to meet my dad. I put the gardening gloves on and started planting the seeds. We stayed out for awhile, trying to get as much done as possible. We started to walk outside but heard yelling. I turned around and saw a girl about my age. My dad walked over to let her in. I could hear them talking, but couldn't understand what they were saying. She started walking over to me and smiled at me. It looked like she was checking me out...

"Hi, I'm Jade." She said.

"Uhm Carl." I replied, trying to make her go away.

"You're really cute." She said.

"Uhm thanks, but I have a girlfriend." I replied. She frowned and walked away. Thank god. I went to my cell and it was 8:34. Ashley still wasn't up. I guess she did need some sleep after yesterday. I went to find my dad and talk to him about this Jade girl.

"Is she staying here?" I asked. 

"Of course! She's so young and shouldn't be out there on her own!" He replied. I sighed. Dammit, she makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. I guess I'll just have to get use to it. Maybe Ashley can have another friend, but I'll be sure to stay away. I look up and see Ashley walking out of our cell. I smiled and went over to hug her.

"Good morning." I said.

'Mornin" She replied smiling. 

"What's all the commotion about?" She asked.

"There's a new girl." I said.

"Jade! Can you come out here?" My dad yelled. She walked out and looked at Ashley and Ashley looked at her. Then they ran and hugged eachother. Did I miss something here?

"Oh my god Ashley! I thought I would never see you again!" She said basically in tears. 

"Jade I can't believe it's you, I thought all of my friends were dead! " She said hugging her again. Well this is awkward. 

"How do you two know each other?" I asked.

"We've only been best friends since like 5th grade." Ashley replied. 

"Jade, this is my boyfriend Carl." She said. Jade looked really embarrassed, probably because she was flirting with me when she got here.

"Oh, uh yeah we already met." She said. Ashley looked confused but just shrugged it off. Then they walked away to Jade's cell.

Ashley's POV:

"You're so lucky." Jade said. 

"How?" I asked. 

"You still have people who love you. I've been on my own until now." She replied.

"I was on my own for 5 months. They found me and took me in. I fell for Carl almost instantly." I replied smiling.

"Don't get mad, but when I first got here I was kind of flirting with Carl, but now I know he's with you so  I'll back off." She said nervously. I laughed.

"I don't blame you." I said. She relaxed at my response and then laughed. We sat there for hours talking about what we've been doing during the end of the world. Which was basically only killing walkers for her. I told her about everything and decided to tell her about Ellie since we were all bestfriends.

"I found Ellie, but she wasn't herself." I said shedding a few tears. Jade's smiled faded away.

"She's dead?" She replied and I just nodded.

"Wow, I thought out of everyone she would survive, she was so strong." She replied and I just nodded. After that we sat in silence for awhile, not knowing what to really talk about.

"I'm just glad I found you." She said. I smiled and hugged her. 

"Me too." I replied, happy to have a part of my life back. 

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."

End of Chapter 24