Chapter 46 Leader

Ashely's POV:

We ran. We ran as fast as we could in the other direction. Away from them, all of them. Was it stupid? Yes very but I wanted to be able to live with no rules and be a normal 15 year old girl living in the apocalypse. Well as normal as can be. We've been running for 10 minutes without stopping and I was getting pretty tired.

"Were good we can stop." I said in faint breaths. He hesitantly stopped and we caught our breath. It was still morning/early afternoon. We have a couple of hours to find shelter for the night.

"Let's keep walking." I nodded and followed beside him. We have nothing left, our baggage is still in the car. Just weapons and each other. To be honest I was so scared. Of course I trust Carl, it's just nice to have adults who know what they're doing. Carl says we can survive on our own, but I'm not so sure about that. I stayed behind him following his every move. It's weird to think I lived in this world by myself for months. I don't think I could do that again.

"Let's pick up the pace, I want to find a place as soon as possible." I really hope he doesn't think he's the boss of me now. I didn't want to argue so I started to fast walk. We walked for 20 minutes in silence before we found a small neighborhood. It had some nice houses. We took the one in the middle and sat down for a second.

"What now?" I asked curiously.

"I don't know, I guess we just live our lives how ever we want too." I smiled at him, I liked that idea. We just laid down in the living room, full of complete silence. For having no rules we were being awfully boring. I heard the faint sound of snoring and chuckled. I decided to go on a supplies run in the other houses. I grabbed my weapons and a bag I found in the kitchen. I quietly opened the door and headed out. It's been forever since I've been on a supplies run by myself, hopefully I still remember how too. Of course I remembered, it wasn't to hard to hunt for stuff.

2 houses later I had a couple cans of food and a flashlight. We will need more stuff so I decided on 1 more house. I kicked the door down since it was locked and checked all the rooms for walkers. First floor was clear so I decided to check the upstairs. I cautiously made my way up the stairs before I heard walker moans. I peaked up and saw 3 walkers roaming the hall. I figured it wasn't worth it so I quietly walked down the stairs, trying my hardest to not let them creek. I got to the last step and headed towards the door. I've been gone for about an hour. I better head back before Carl wakes up and gets upset.

I walked the short distance back to our house and quietly entered. There at the door was an angry Carl.

"Where the hell have you been?"

"I just went to get some supplies for us." I handed him the bag and he threw it on the floor.

"What the hell is your problem?"

"My problem is you risking your life! You should've waited for me to wake up! It wasn't that important at the moment Ashley!" I didn't say anything, just walked upstairs into one of the empty bedrooms. I don't need this. If this is how my life will be from now on, I'm not sure if I want to continue living it.

~2 weeks later~

My life is more hell then it was before we left. Ever since that day he's been the leader of us. He won't even let me go on supply runs with him. I'm forced to stay in the house. He was on a run right now so I was stuck by myself looking our the same old window I've been looking out for days. I don't even like speaking to him anymore.

I heard the door open from downstairs and didn't even bother walking down to greet him. Instead he walked up throwing me a can of beans.

"Eat up." He said before walking downstairs. Really, that's it? I couldn't take his bullshit anymore. I walked downstairs to have a little chat with him.

"Are you happy living like this?" I asked him.

"Of course, I love it! We have no rules!" Is he serious?

"You mean you don't have any rules?"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me, Carl I didn't leave everyone behind to live like this! You only like this because you're the leader of us! Do you ever think about my feelings? It hurts that you can't even trust me!"

"Stop acting like such a bitch, I'm the reason were surviving like this! You don't have to do anything! You have an easy fucking life now!"

Carl has never called me a bitch before, and it was something I didn't want to hear.
He tried to apologize but I ran upstairs to my room and locked the door. I sat down on the bed and cried. I miss everyone. I miss my family. I should've never ran away with him. Tonight is it. I'm running away from him. I'm going to find the people I belong with no matter how hard it is. I will find them.

Only a couple more hours until night fall. As soon as he goes to bed, I'll begin my adventure to finding my family. I grabbed the bag I found the other week and put my supplies in it. 5 cans of food, the flashlight I found, and my knife and gun. I was running out of ammo so hopefully I can find them soon. I just sat on my bed, waiting for nightfall.

~4 hours later~

The stars were out and I could hear Carl's snores. It's time for me to leave. I grabbed the long letter I wrote and left it on my bed. I tip toed down the stairs and faced the door. I took a deep breath and placed my hand on the knob. I turned it and heard the creek and felt the cool night air. I walked into it and closed the door behind me. No more living under Carl's rules. It's time to be my own leader.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

A/N: SO SORRY FOR THE BREAK! I've had a lot of stuff going on but now I should be back to normal! This book has 60 chapters so only 14 left! And then book 2! So excited! Please vote it means a lot!