Chapter 62

Hayes's POV:

My eyes blinked several times. Trying to flash the Memory of what just happened back into my head. The car was shifted towards the side of the road and we were inside. The car that had crashed into us had it way worse than we did. I couldn't see who was inside. All I saw was the flashing front lights of the car ahead. The rain was still pouring heavily. I looked over to Althea and she wasn't awake like I was. I had called her name several times but she hasn't woken up. she didn't seem dead either...or at least I think.

I shifted my weight over so I could face her better. I ran my fingers along her cheek. Her eyes were shut tight and her face looked relax. No major injuries like me. No blood, nothing. I just didn't understand why she wasn't awake. Jeff's car had extreme air bags that helped prevent us from major Injuries. My body loosened up to the thought of relief. I wasn't hurt but my left arm sure did hurt. Like I had just ran into a door several hundred times. I gently stroked Althea's face slowly. My eyes hurting with a sharp pain of wanting to cry and scream. She wasn't dead.

She's not dead.

She won't be dead.

She isn't dead.

I shifted my weight back over to the most comfortable position I could sit in. Slipping my hand to my pocket to grab my phone, the sharp pain from my arm stinging. I quickly slipped the phone out of my pocket and called someone as fast as I could.

"Hayes?" Jeff's voice said through the phone
"Get over here. Now."
"What the fuck? It's late. Aren't you guys at-"
"Get the fuck over here!"
"Where are you?! What happened!?" His voice got louder. His voice surprisingly filled with anxiety and not anger.
"We got into a car accident-"
"Hayes man! What the-"
"Stop swearing at me and just get over here!"
"Fine! You still haven't told me where you are though!" He hissed through the phone. I looked around trying to sneak a peek through the washed windows from the rain and from the lights that were still flashing from the car that had crashed into us. No one inside the car was visible.
"Were not very far. Just follow down the road we always take to uncle Philip's. Were probably only 15-20 minutes away."
Jeff yelled something away from the phone. I'm guessing he was yelling at someone inside the house and telling them what shit we got into.
"Fuck, okay. I'll be right over there with an ambulance. Hang in there man." He said as he quickly hung up. I could hear the adrenaline in his voice. I sat there for a few moments trying to get my mind stable again. Then I looked over at Althea and saw she still hasn't woken up. I intertwined are fingers together and her hand was cold. I believed her fingers were cold because it was raining heavy and since the car was officially wrecked from the crash, the heater didn't work.
Yeah,
That's it.

The heater didn't work.

That's all.

She's not dead.

I played with her fingers a bit. I chewed on my bottom Lip to prevent the river in my eyes to not come streaming down. I watched her face. No emotions. No expressions. No nothing.

And yet, I still loved her no matter what. My heart still raced the same and nothing else in the world could change that. If she could see me now she would ask me why I was staring at her. Id give her the winning smirk and her cheeks would flush red and a smile would widened across her face.

I kissed her cheek. Even though she probably couldn't even feel it. It was then the river started dropping down slowly. I didn't rub them away, instead I just let them fall onto my lap.

"I love you..." My voice croaked through the tears. And the car became silent with nothing but the rain pouring up on the roof.

But in my mind, I imagined her saying it back to me.