Chapter 59

Althea's POV:

After dinner everyone seemed to clear out. The guys took uncle Philip out, maybe for a beer or something. I wasn't quite sure. The girls went upstairs to get ready for bed and I seemed to trample and drag my feet around the house looking for Hayes. It took me forever to find him and apparently he was in the living room with his back faced to me,

how stupid of me to not check the living room.

His phone was pressed against his ear, his left hand running through his hair. He nodded up and down slowly as he said things like "no. Are you serious?" Or "please. No." After a long phone call, he hung up and spun around. His blue piercing eyes interlocking with mine. His eyes jotted out of his skull like he was really that surprised and his body flinched. "Everything okay Hayes?" I asked as I walked slowly towards him. "Huh?...oh. Um, yeah I'm fine."

He was lying.

"Hayes, I know you're not fine. I've known you for so many years that I know every skill you have. And you're definitely not the best liar" I slurred at him. His face flushing and he stared down at the floor towards his feet. "Well, you're right. I'm not fine"

"I knew it. Do you wanna tell me why?"

Hayes passed for a moment, silence taking over and what sounded like a gulp from his throat. "Nash just told me our dog is sick"

"Are you sure thats all?"

"Yes I'm sure."

"Alright. Whatever you say" I said as I walked over to him and gave him a soft and slow peck on the lips. The expression of relief and calmness plastered onto hayes's face. His lips pulled away from mine slowly and his eyes gently opened. Locking with mine. It was one of those moments where I wish time froze. Where moments could last a lifetime. Where a second could feel like an hour.

Where forever truly meant forever.

Hayes's POV:

I had to leave.

Not yet, but soon.

Nash told me that I had to go. He made it sound like I was still a 13 year old boy who couldn't make his own decisions. But really, Nash said it meant a lot to dad and to him. And a part of me didn't want to let neither of them down...

But I didn't want to let down Althea or the baby either.

I wasn't leaving today,

Nor tomorrow.

But sometime this year.

But I wasn't quite sure when, and the thought of that ate my insides along with a thousand questions of anxiety.

What if I died before I even left for the tour?

What if something happens to Althea or the baby before I leave for the tour?

What if my plane leaves one day and then during the flight I get a call saying that my baby was being delivered?,

At that moment.

The questions taunted and ate my insides. Like a sickening punch was all I could feel in my stomach.

*

Althea's POV:

Around midnight the guys and uncle Philip came back with handfuls of a grocery plastic bag.

"What's that for?" I asked as we all gathered outside. It was a bit cold and moist. Like I could taste the air and swallow it with a gulp. The sky was pitch black but stars were spread in the stricken sky.

"Remember that little activity our teacher made us do when we were on that trip a few years ago? The one where you would write down a secret of yours or whatever and tie it to a lantern and set it free?" Chandler explained with hand gestures

"Yeah, what about it?"

"We saw these lanterns at the dollar store and uncle Philip thought it sounded like a fun idea." I called down Andrea, Jen and Anna. Maria and Mae were still out on their little "double date." We went outside and Jen handed me a little lantern, a small strip of paper and a pen. I thought carefully of what I would write down. It's funny how even the last time that I did this lantern activity, I didn't know what to write down. And I ended up writing about Hayes last time.

I thought and thought of what I would write and after a while, I eventually figured out what I was going to write down. I picked up my pen and scribbled;

I'm going to be a mother. And I'm going to love my child with all my heart. I'm gonna love Hayes, with everything I've got, because I'm going to be the best fiancé I can be.

Now, all I said was true. I was going to show my baby I loved her/him. And I'm going to show Hayes, that I'll always. Always. Love him. And that's says a lot because a few years ago...I was afraid of getting hurt to be in love. I was told that falling in love sucks. Because all you would end up like, is a tiny ball curled up in the corner, flooded with tears and thoughts eating you away...

And Hayes was the only one to ever prove me wrong.

Hayes's POV:

I watched everyone tie their strips of paper onto lanterns and watch them fade into the dark night. I was one of the last to write something down onto the paper. It wasn't that I didn't have anything in mind, it was more like my mind had so much going on that I didn't even know where was left and where was right. That words were being mumbled inside my brain and I was one to suffer.

Then it hit me. I wrote down exactly how I felt and what I thought onto the piece of paper. I wrote down;

I'm leaving for 2 whole years and I-

"What're you writing?" Althea giggled as she tried to take a peek of my piece of paper over my shoulder.

"Hey!" I exclaimed as I quickly pushed my paper to the side.

"C'mon. Pleaseeeee" she pouted with her lips out. Just like how she use to pout when we were 13.

"Maybe one day." I said as I gave her a smirk.

And then I went back to what I was writing.

I'm leaving for 2 whole years and I can't do anything about it. And it's stupid of me to leave someone I love. And the baby who I said I would always be there for and love no matter what.

Never promise anything that you can't keep, I thought to myself,

Stupid Hayes.

Just stupid.