Chapter 55

Did he really just say those words?

"we"?

"Alright then," Dr Rowell said as she handed me a tissue to wipe off the clear gel she had rubbed onto my stomach. "That's all for this first appointment. Be sure to check in with me every month to see how the baby is doing and if you're doing okay as well. Alright?"
"Yes, sure thing" I said. Dr Rowell said goodbye to all of us and left the room. Soon it was just the 4 of us still remaining in the same exact spots we were in before, not moving a single muscle. I sighed loudly on purpose this time.
"So where to next?" Andrea asked,
"Home." Jeff said loud and clear,
"Wait, can we stop at target or something? I wanna buy a few things."
"Like?"
"Cake mix." Andrea said. We all laughed at her as she stared at all of us giving us looks. "What?"
"Nothing's its just, why do you need cake mix?"
"I wanna make a cake. You know?maybe it could even be a 'congratulations on the baby Althea and Hayes' cake." We replied with a long laugh but yet those words really made its way into my brain.
"Alright fine." Jeff said finally giving in. So we left the doctors Clinique and drove to target.

*
Target was empty and target was one of the places I knew which basically had everything at the target in our area. From cake mix to baby items. Hey, maybe I would stop and look for some baby stuff just in case. It's never too early to start stocking up.

When we got into target Andrea and I went into the direction of the foods and such to look for the cake mix and Jeff and Hayes drifted off into their own little direction together.
"What flavor?" Andrea asked me, as if I actually cared.
"Doesn't matter. Your choice" I said as I leaned against the stocked shelves of various cake mix flavors.
Andrea gave me a little look, "aw c'mon. Lighten up a little."
"Who said I needed to lighten up?"
"Well what's the matter then?"
I gulped. I didn't know what to say, it seemed like nothing was the matter but now that she mentioned it, it suddenly felt like there was a problem at the tip of my tongue but I just didn't know how to explain it.
"Nothing's the matter...it's just...Hayes and all."
"What about hayes?"
"He's just different now. When I told him about the baby he just seemed so...denying and all that."
Andrea stared at me blankly for a moment. "Looks to me like he realized he needed to be a better father. Besides, he's the one who hit and didn't cover up if you know what I mean" she joked which caused us both to chuckle.

After what seemed like forever Andrea finally decided on a cake mix flavor which was just regular chocolate.

Who takes that long to choose and then just goes with a basic cake flavor?

Andrea and I started walking around target looking for Hayes and Jeff. We even checked the toy aisles. Yes, that's how desperate we were to find them. It took us a while but we finally found them, they were in the baby section.

"What're you guys doing here?" Andrea said in between several giggles. "Just looking for stuff for Jeff junior" Jeff said as he started scanning several different baby clothes that were hung up. I gave Jeff a look. "Jeff junior?" I said, "yeah. I was meaning to talk to you and Hayes about that so-" "dude, were not naming the baby Jeff junior" Hayes said as he laughed at Jeff. His wide smile plastered onto his face. His eyes looking away and wandering to Jeff in a sarcastic look. Like he was rolling his eyes. But yet, in those eyes I saw the same 13 year old boy that I fell In love with.

"Why not?" Jeff asked
"Because" I said cutting into the conversation
"Because..?"
"Because we don't even know if it's a girl or boy yet."
"That's true," Andrea agreed "and Hayes and Althea probably still don't know what they would name it yet anyways. But I'm pretty sure they don't want to name it after you" she fired at Jeff. Jeff stepped back as if Andreas words had physically hurt him and he Made sarcastic looks with his eyes and emotions. Hayes nudged Jeff over to the side as we finished laughing. I saw Hayes and his hands and face expression wandered off to a T shirt that was hung up near where Jeff was.
Andrea and Jeff were still arguing playfully and jokingly about the whole baby naming thing. I walked over to Hayes who was scanning the T shirt over and over again with his piercing blue eyes. "Got your eye on something Grier?" I joked. He looked so surprise when I talked to him because it was as if he jumped in his spot even though he saw me coming. The t shirt was a bright blue t shirt which had enlarged printed words that said Do you got a baby or nah? Hayes laughed loudly now.
He stared at the shirt then back at me, "I think you should buy this" he joked. "No thanks, id probably look-" "hot?" Hayes said. And suddenly I got quiet with a huge grin on my face. I don't know if he was kidding or not but he didn't stop staring at me directly in the eyes with a stupid smile across his face. My cheeks were practically flaming. Like any minute the smoke detector would go off soon because of how fired my cheeks were with embarrassment. I pushed Hayes playfully which only caused the stupid smile on his face to widen. Hayes took the shirt off the hook and held it up to me. "Perfect" he said, closing one of his eyes and peaking at me with the other. I checked the tag and it was $10. Not bad I guess so why not?

"Let's go now, Andrea probably wants to go home to make that cak-"
"Wait." Hayes said grabbing me by my wrist. He squeezed my wrist as his eyes were directed into the opposite direction I was starting at.
"What?" I asked
"Look." Hayes pulled another t shirt off one of the hooks. Except it wasn't my size, it was much smaller...like a baby's size.
I stared at the shirt and I tried to keep the laughter inside me. Jeff and Andrea were still arguing about the baby name and other various topics.
The baby t shirt was a bright blue like mine and had enlarged words a as well. Except it said: I'm the baby

I'm guessing both mine and the baby T shirt came in pairs or so, but Hayes and I couldn't help but laugh. I checked the tag and it was $20. I don't even know why a shirt like that would cost $20 even for a baby. "Hayes I don't think I should buy that." "Why not?" "Well, my baby is-"
"Our." He said interrupting me
"Huh?"
"Our baby." He said in a clear tone, his brown shaggy hair covered some of his forehead and landed perfectly just above his eyebrows. He gave me a half smile. I felt a smile sprouting on my face but I tried my best to fight it.
"Like I was saying, our baby is gonna outgrow the clothes anyway at some point. So why spend $20 on a shirt the baby is gonna outgrow?"
Hayes looked away for a moment and then he pulled his gaze back to me.
"I'll pay then."
"Hayes you really don't have t-"
"But I want too. Anything for my girl and my little Hayes junior." His words got me like a magnet. Pulling me in just like that. I wanted to kiss him over and over and over again.
I smiled and didn't fight it this time, and hit him playfully. We both started walking back to Andrea and Jeff who were now waiting in line by the cashier.
"Hayes, I thought we agreed that we wouldn't name the baby anything that would have the name junior in it" I said
"We agreed on not Jeff junior but you never said anything about Hayes junior" he hissed back at me in a sassy but funny tone. Hayes and I started showing Jeff and Andrea the shirt Hayes had found and we all burst out laughing.
"Wow, that's really cut-"
"OH MY GOD IS THAT HAYES GRIER?!?" A couple voices yelled.

Fans.

It's been a long time since Hayes has actually been out. Like to the mall and all that. He hasn't been mobbed by fans lately...except now.

None of us moved. Hayes stood frozen like a statue with wide eyes, same goes with all of us. We didn't know what to do. The fangirls were frozen as well. Like they were ready to charge with wide smiles and bright open eyes, their bodies shaking. I took a deep breathe and thought I could settle this without Hayes having to get hurt or mobbed. I started walking slowly to the fangirls with my hands out,

"Girls, maybe if you guys could just line up then Hayes can-"
"MOVE" a girl said. And suddenly it went wild. Like a wave of girls breaking and entering. A couple girls glided passed me, my body being thrown to girl and to the next girl that passed. I couldn't see hayes anymore, not even Jeff or Andrea. I never expected it to get that crazy.

I was surprised I wasn't hurt or killed by being stepped on by groups and groups of girls but suddenly I felt a girl swing her arm and pushed me to the stocked shelves. My legs were being trampled on now but I didn't care...

All I cared about was the girl who had swung her arm out at me. My whole body feeling bruised. But it was where she had swung her arm that made me worried.

She swung her arm on my upper body, above the waist.

And that's right, the girl had swung her arm at my stomach.

Where the baby was.