reliving the past

Ezra and Jai sat on top of a oval shaped rock. Lothcats purring happily beside them as they petted the felines. Jai occasionally glanced at Ezra who had his eyes glued to the sky. The boy knew his friend was worried about the rebel pilot, Hera Syndulla. The Twe'lik was nice and Jai could see why others liked her. She also had a strong, rebellious spirit which Jai marvelled. She never seemed to give up and the the rebels did their best to do the same. But now, here he and Ezra were. Feeling helpless and broken after the failed attack on Lothal. Hera had been taken prisoner and Jai and Chopper barely made it out alive. Jai knew Ezra saw Hera as a mother figure. It was crystal clear to the boy because of Ezra and Hera's bond. He'd noticed Hera occasionally acted like a mother towards Ezra or Sabine. Jai decided to break the silence.

"Quite a day huh?" He said.

Ezra grunted in response, eyes still on the sky.

"You worried about her?"

Jai didn't need to say Hera's name for Ezra to know who he was talking about.

"Yeah" Ezra admitted quietly.

"I...I feel so helpless."

Jai nodded in agreement and understanding.

"I know the feeling" he said.

Ezra looked at the ground, clutching his arms.

"I already lost my first mother, I've always seen Hera as a mother figure."

'Yup I was right' Jai thought.

"I didn't want to lose Hera too" Ezra exhaled.

"We'll get her back Ez, I promise" Jai said, placing a hand on Ezra's shoulder.

The young Jedi gave his friend a small smile in which Jai returned.  

"So! What have you been doing lately?" Ezra asked.

"Well, ever since I came to Lothal, I've been helping Ryder with scouting and taking a look at the TIE defender" Jai replied.

"And have you been aided by Lothcats?" Ezra grinned as he scratched the cat beside him on its belly.

Jai rolled his eyes and elbowed his friend playfully. Ezra gave a yelp making the Lothcat start and run from the rock. Ezra held his side, eyes on Jai warily.

"Oh yes. This brings back a memory" Jai smiled.

"Back when we were fifteen and we had that sleepover?"

(If you're wondering it's the part called A Ticklish Sleepover in this book)

"Jai" Ezra warned.

"Don't you dare."

"Afraid Ezra?" Jai taunted.

"Afraid? Pssh. Please. I'm not afraid of anythihihihihing!" Ezra burst into giggles as soon as Jai started tickling his side.

He slapped his friend's hand away and shuffled backwards.

"Jai, keep in mind I have the Force and a lightsaber" Ezra said.

"Do not make me have to use them."

Jai smirked before lunging at Ezra and putting him in a headlock. While that had the boy distracted, Jai proceeded to tickle him.

"Argh! Nohohohoho! Jai! Stop it!" Ezra laughed swatting at his friend's arms that were around his neck.

"Yup! Still as ticklish as ever Ezra" Jai grinned.

Ezra did his best to escape his friend's unrelenting grip but he was failing miserably. His laughter made him weaker with every second as he tried to jerk out of the way of Jai's probing fingers.

Kanan, Sabine, Zeb, Chopper, and Ryder lifted their heads at the sound of laughter.

"That sounds like Ezra" Sabine remarked.

They all shared a look, knowing what Ezra was going through at the moment.

"Should we do something?" Zeb asked.

"Yeah, in a minute. Ezra needs a laugh after everything that's happened" Kanan shrugged stroking the Lothcat that was beside him.

"Jai" Ezra gasped.

"Please I cahahahant breathe."

Jai smiled and released Ezra. The boy stretched and glared at his friend.

"Screw you" he panted.

Jai grinned and lightly punched Ezra's shoulder.

"You needed to laugh Ezra" he said.

"I don't like seeing you so unhappy."

Ezra rolled his eyes and looked back at the sky.

"Yeah whatever" he sighed then looked at his knees.

"Thanks though. Guess I have been a little down."

"Anytime Bridger."