a friend of a different sort

Takes place a few days after Flight of the Defender. Enjoy!

The Ghost landed on the outskirts of Lothal, steam hissing from the ship. Ezra went down the ramp and gazed into the fields.
'I know you're out there. Somewhere' he thought.
'But where?'
"You okay Ezra?" Hera asked walking down the ramp.
"I'm okay, just...looking for someone" the teen replied carefully.
"If you want, you can take a bike and go look out there. We'll be staying on Lothal for a few hours. I'll com you when you need to come back alright?"
Ezra smiled warmly.
"Thanks Hera."
He quickly got his speeder and fired it up. Taking off through the burnt fields, Ezra looked around for his friend.
"Where's he going?" Sabine asked joining Hera at the foot of fhe ramp.
"To search of a Lothwolf I think" the Twe'lik answered.

Ezra parked his speeder when he reached the area where he last saw the Lothwolf. Getting off, the boy gazed around but there was no sign of the wolf anywhere. Cupping his hands round his mouth, Ezra gave a long, realistic howl of a Lothwolf, hoping for a reply.
Much to Ezra's disappointment, there was nothing.
With a sigh, the boy turned and came face to face with a white, furry chest. Walking backwards, Ezra looked up and his gaze met the eyes of the Lothwolf. The orange eyes of the predator were gentle and friendly as they gazed into Ezra's. The wolf gave a soft moan and leaned down to Ezra. The boy reached out a hand and placed it on the Lothwolf's nose. The creature rumbled in a friendly way and nuzzled Ezra's chest.
"I never properly thanked you for saving me and Sabine a few nights ago" Ezra realised.
The wolf only rumbled again in response.
"If you hadn't helped us, Sabine and I would probably be with the Empire, or dead. Why did you help us?"
The wolf considered Ezra for a moment before pulling from the boy's arms.
"Lothal's hope" it growled.
"Lothal's hope?" Ezra repeated.
The wolf nodded.
"What are you saying? I'm Lothal's hope?"
The wolf shook it's head.
"Both" it told him.
"Both? Wait. Do you mean me and Sabine?"
The Lothwolf nodded before crouching in front of Ezra and motioning to its back. Ezra glanced over his shoulder to where the Ghost sat in the distance.
"Alright. One ride" he said getting on.
Ezra's hands gripped the Lothwolf's fur and made sure he was seated. The predator rose then kicked off with its powerful legs. Running across the fields as graceful as an antelope. Ezra felt his adrenaline soar as the Lothwolf's paws thudded across the ground. He'd forgotten how thrilling riding a Lothwolf was! To be fair, last time he was on this Lothwolf, he'd been terrified because he thought the Empire might catch him and Sabine. Now he was able to enjoy the ride without a care in the world.

Later on, the wolf stopped at a cliff overlooking Lothal's plains. A gentle breeze played with the Lothwolf's fur as it lowered itself to let Ezra get off. After Ezra dismounted, the predator lay down fully and Ezra sat beside it. Leaning against the wolf's rising and falling sides. The teen stroked the wolf who nuzzled the boy's shoulder.
"I'm really glad we met again" Ezra told the Lothwolf who snorted in agreement. Leaning deeper into the wolf, Ezra closed his eyes, ready to fall asleep. The fur of the Lothwolf was so warm and soft. He could lie there forever, cuddling into the fur that smelled slightly of freshly cut grass. The Lothwolf noticed Ezra was beginning to fall asleep and lay down its own head. Paws tucked underneath its face and tail curled around Ezra. The two fell asleep in the afternoon sun, warm and peaceful.

The Lothwolf woke when it felt a slight chill on its back. Eyes opening, the wolf looked around and realised it was night. How late at night, it didn't know. Gazing down to its side, the Lothwolf smiled warmly. Ezra was curled up like a baby by the Lothwolf, breathing quietly and holding a fist full of fur. The wolf gently nuzzled the boy's hair in which the boy made a soft noise of protest. Not wanting to be woken. The wolf gave a gurgle and gently butted the boy's side with its nose. Ezra gave a soft giggle and covered the area. The Lothwolf felt curious and did it again on Ezra's navel. The teen once again gave a sleepy chuckle and lay an arm over the place. The wolf felt a flicker of amusement as it realised what was going on with the boy. The Lothwolf easily pinned him down with one of its large paws and began to rub it's nose on Ezra's torso. The boy's eyes snapped open and burst out laughing as ticklish sensations ran throughout his body.
"Hehehehehehey! Whahahat arhahahahahare yohohoh dohohohohing?" The boy giggled trying to shove the wolf's heavy paw off his chest.
"I'm tihihihihcklihihish! Cuhuhut it ohohohut!"
The Lothwolf ignored Ezra's cries and continued to nuzzle him gently. Occasionally licking the boy's neck and face which surprisingly tickled quite a bit.
"Plehehehehehse! I cahahahant tahahahake muhuhuhuch mohohohore!" Ezra pleaded and the wolf stopped.
Bringing its head back and smiling down on Ezra as it removed its paw. The boy sat up, panting slightly and rubbed the Lothwolf's nose.
"Probably time I should get home. The others are most likely getting worried about me."

Ezra pulled his bike up to the Ghost and Hera came down the ramp.
"Where have you been?" She asked.
"I've been worried sick about you!"
Ezra smiled and looked out to the fields.
"I was just catching up with a friend of a different sort" he told the Twe'lik.
"Good night Hera. I'm going to bed."
With a yawn, Ezra gave Hera a quick hug before going up to his cabin. Climbing into his bunk, Ezra curled up and almost instantly fell asleep.

Dreaming about riding Lothwolves on a moonlit night.