Chapter 2 ~ Always Be Together

In bold cursive text the title appears 'Ashes'. There's no actor names on the screen it's just me and Sofia sat opposite each other. My voice echoes around the silent room as we watch.

"Gimme the sharpie. Sofs! Gimme it!" we are laughing, her perfect face in high resolution, smiling like she used to. I snatch the pen from her hand and pull her slender arm towards me resting it on my lap.

"We'll always be together, won't we Ash?" her melodic voice asks.

"Always." I watch myself say with sincerity, the pen tracing the marks left over from the day before. My arm's the same with old sharpie etched on my skin. My printed writing decorates her smooth skin. I finish the last flick of the 'r' before turning to her hand, along the edge I mark my territory with my name like we always do. I cross the 't' and hand her the pen so she can repeat the process on my arm.

"Ash? I think I love you."

"Only think?" I joke.

"Fine," she smiles "I know."

"Better." I laugh, leaning in to kiss her softly. We pull away "I'll see you tonight then?" I ask her slightly breathlessly. She just nods and walks away.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

We're back on the hill, but it's another day. The sun is high in the sky and glaring it's rays down upon us. I'm restlessly tapping a rhythm on a spare piece of ground.

"Sing for me Ash." She asks. I know what will flow from my mouth because I remember this moment like it was yesterday.

A moment like this

Some people wait forever

It's Leona Lewis, I think, but I make it my own. With syncopated rhythms and a more upbeat tempo, at that moment I think I'm in love I think I've found the one, a voice says over the image. Which is strange because that is how I felt at that time.

Ashes was like a doorway into my own brain and I don't know how they got the footage or who told them my story and I don't know why I want to keep watching, but I do.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

I'm back on screen but I'm sat with Michael on a squishy leather sofa. I'm glued to my phone reading and typing.

"Ash?" Michael keeps on asking me but I ignore him every time. My eyes haven't left the screen of my phone. Michael grabs my phone from my hand.

"What d'ya do that for." I yell at him, my green eyes flashing with anger.

"Ash, we've been sat here for nearly an hour and we haven't spoken once. You're glued to your phone!" he exclaims

"No, I haven't."

"Man, face it, you're obsessed with each other."

"No weren't not."

"Stop denying it. You don't even bother with band practise anymore, we hardly ever see you."

"You're seeing me now."

"Not really, seeing as we haven't spoken yet! You're letting the band down, Ash, we not the same without you."

"Have I really stopped coming to band practise?"

"Yes." Michael says exasperatedly. "You are so out of it Ash, but you need to start coming to band practise again. Okay." I nod my head up and down.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

As I watch this I feel disappointment in myself, I was splitting the band up over a girl, a girl who eventually left. I turn to look at Michael and I think i know where the footage came from, a guilty look covers their faces but I feel no anger. I need this. This is my closure.