Chapter 20 ~ Thanks For Being A Friend

Michael's POV

I felt so bad for Sofia. I may have hated her for the past two years but after talking to her, I realised she wasn't to blame.

Drew was an idiot for letting her go and replacing her with some other woman who couldn't possibly be prettier than her.

While holding her shaking body in my arms I felt a strange sensation of longing, maybe it was my state of non-caffeine filled delusion and the fact that she smelt like the interior of Starbucks but something in me called out to her.

And my heart sunk when she said I was a great friend.

But, I mean, she's Ashton's ex, I can't possibly harbour any kind of feelings towards her. We can't even really be friends, Ash wouldn't stop me but I would feel guilty because I don't think we'd just be friends.

But even with that knowledge I still exchanged phone numbers with her and left with a promise to text her if I ever wanted to meet up. I can't help but wonder if she has an ulterior motive but if she does I couldn't care less anyways, I want to be around her.

It definitely wasn't the coffee.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

The morning after bumping into Sofia, I feel refreshed which is pretty much a given when you went to bed at 10pm and woke up 15 hours later at around 1 o'clock-ish the following day, what can I say, it's fun.

I check my phone and groan at the sight of 20 missed calls, 37 unread texts all from different people. What the hell happened during my 15 hours of hibernation?

I open the least recent text. It's from Ashton.

A: GO ON TWITTER RIGHT NOW.

Okay, a little blunt but you know...he's Irish?? I open the Twitter app and find myself confronted with pictures of me - and Sofia on the beach cuddling each other.

Who's Michael's damsel in distress? reads the caption for the first one. I immediately text Ash:

M: Just woke up, what should I do??

Honestly, waiting for an important text is like waiting for a tortoise to cross the finish line of a marathon. Slow.

Finally, Ash replies

A: Fix it.

Helpful.

I sigh and head back onto Twitter.

I type a tweet, and then delete the text and type something else, only to delete that.

After repeating this process a billion times I finally settle on:

@Michael5SOS: She's a good friend going through a rough time, she needed a Mikey hug. #mikeyhugs

Everyone loves a good hashtag, it's a crowd pleaser. Next thing I knew #mikeyhugs was trending worldwide and although some people were being rude and disrespectful towards Sofia, many of the fans had either forgotten all about her or were just saying encouraging things.

Mission complete. Now for food...last night's pizza? For breakfast? Why not.

Just as I was about to tuck into my microwaved pizza Ash, Cal and Luke burst through the door unannounced.

"Nice save, Mickey." says Cal as he heads to the fridge for some juice.

"Yeah, but why was it necessary?" asks Ash, raising his eyebrows questioningly.

"Because I bumped into Sofia when I dropped Beth and Claudia off, her boyfriend lives around there. She was crying so I asked what was wrong."

"And...?" prompts Ash, "What was wrong?"

"Her boyfriend cheated with some other woman."

"Oh." He says, devastated. I know he still loves her, maybe not in the old sense but he cares very deeply about her well being so it's no surprise he is upset.

"Well, you did the right thing Michael." says Luke, "She probably needed the comforting."

"Yeah," agrees Cal, nodding his dark haired head. "She probably needed a friend."

I force a smile because I wonder if I don't just want to be a friend for her. I might want more.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

I'd spent the day with the boys just mucking around, eating vegemite and the likes.

Once they had left my apartment, I spread myself across the sofa with my phone, a packet of crisps and the tv on playing Big Rich Texas. Yeah, that's what I watch when I'm home alone. It's interesting, it's all old episodes, I'm at the point where Kaylyn might be pregnant with her godmother's son's baby. It's all kicking off...

I'm just happily sat watching Kaylyn trying to tell Tyler she's pregnant when my phone starts ringing, I look at the contact and normally I would just ignore it but it's Sofia. I mute the tv and answer her call.

"Hello?"  I greet.

"Hey, Michael?"

"Yeah?"

"Drew -" I can hear her sobbing down the other end of line, "Can you just come over?" She cries down the phone.

"Sure." I say, "Text me your address."

I flick off the tv and grab two bottles of chocolate milk from the fridge before jumping into my car and driving to the address she sent me. It's not too far away from where I live but I still manage to get lost at least three times and I did drive past the same house party four times. Other than that I got there pretty successfully.

I ring the buzzer to her apartment and she lets me in. It's like walking into to an interior design magazine, while my flat is empty other than a vast array of guitars, band posters, pizza boxes and a couple of pieces of furniture. Sofia's is beautiful. The walls are painted in different shades of grey, and the furniture is mainly yellow and citrus green. It really shouldn't work. She has a pale grey sofa against a dark charcoal grey wall, which has tons of plain sunshine yellow cushions, black and white chevron printed cushions along with a cream cushion with a yellow speech bubble that reads HELLO, SUNSHINE in a graphic text.

"Please sit." She smiles, tear tracks staining her face. I hand her a chocolate milk which makes her laugh.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Drew saw the pictures." She hiccups out. "He called me a slut and a whore," she breaks down again and I hold her close and stroke her hair.

"He's not worth it." I say, trying to comfort her.

"He was," she gasps out in between sobs. "He said he didn't care because he has Stephanie now." at this point she's a shaking mess of emotions. "He's over me and I still think I like him."

"I thought you said you weren't sure if you actually liked him."

"I know," she sobs, "but after seeing him again, I realise that I do."

My heart breaks, not just for her, but for myself.

After a while of holding her and comforting her, she finally calms down and I begin to leave.

"Mikey?" She says as I reach the door. I turn around, my heart leaping in my chest.

"Yes?"

"Thanks for being a friend."

My heart sunk again.

If only she could see that I could take away all the pain. But even I know that's wrong, I should stay away from my best friend's ex.

VOTE COMMENT ETC.

LOVE YOU!! Xxx