Part 26

No A/N

S6E8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 weeks had passed since everything had come out, and everyday I had been on the couch and putting all of my emotions into slam ball or working out. There was a knock on the door in the middle of my workout and it was Peyton.

"Is it okay to enter?" She teased, showing a white flag.

I nodded and took a sip of water, "How's the couch treating you?" she asked.

"Look, Peyton, I get that you are on team Brooke... and you're probably here to get me to forgive her but, I just can't, okay? She kept this from me, Peyton... she watched me spend DAYS trying to write a letter to the family and the whole time she knew... she said nothing." I sighed, plopping down onto the couch.

"First off, I didn't come here for that. I came to actually see how you were doing." Peyton snapped, taking a place next to me, "And second... she didn't say anything because she didn't know, Toby. Yeah, she overheard Jackson and Haley talking, but she had just ran out of YOUR room... she never left your side, not once. So, just hear her out... she didn't wanna say anything because she didn't know the truth, Toby... so don't be mad." Peyton pleaded, sending me a small grin.

I took a deep breath and shook my head, "I'm not mad, Peyton... not mad."

Just as I was going to continue... Brooke came in the house, her eyes swollen... she had been crying.

"Thanks, but... I gotta go." I said, grabbing my bag and heading to the door, "I'll see you later."

***

"Look, Nate, just be careful... this guy wants to put you in your wheelchair again." I warned.

Nathan nodded and sighed,"I know, man... but we're gonna protect each other, so we'll be fine."

As the game went on, Nathan and I took turns slamming #99 in order to protect the other. We were playing a hell of a game until a time out was called, and I noticed Nathan searching the stands.

"Who are you looking for?" I asked, trying to follow his line of sight.

"A scout was supposed to be here tonight... he was going to take a look at both of us." Nate admitted, "Guess he decided not to show."

"Aw, you weren't playing that good for me?" I teased, looking up to see Brooke, Haley and Jamie.

"How about this... we finish the night playing for the people that ARE here for us tonight?" Nathan smirked, getting a nod out of me.

The game continued once again, and #99 was still playing dirty. Owen was taken out since he kept getting nailed so much and if we were being honest, I didn't mind it. Nathan passed me the ball and just as I went in to bounce on a spring I was nailed in the left side. I rolled around for a bit in attempts to catch my breath. I rose slowly and took Nathan's arm to help me up.

"You good?" Nathan asked in concern.

I glanced in the stands to see Brooke on her feet watching. "Lets finish this, Nate... I'll get you the ball."

"Alright!" Nathan smirked, giving me a pat on the back before heading to his spot.

I received the ball, spun around one of the other players, and launched it up to Nathan just as he got to the peak of his jump. He smashed it in and we won the game! Nathan landed and I ran to him in celebration. He turned and saw #99 charging at us, so he pushed me out of the way and took the hit instead... he broke the glass and to be honest, I was scared. It was as though we were re-living the day of his accident.

I ran over to him and got there just as Haley and Jamie did too.

"Don't play slam-ball anymore, daddy." Jamie said.

Haley and I shared eye contact before helping Nathan up onto his feet.

***

I had just took my place on the couch after a shower when I heard steps come into the room.

"Do I have to sleep alone, again?" Brooke said, making her way next to me on the couch.

"Please say no!" Sam shouted from her bedroom, "I know for a fact that the couch isn't comfortable... all I ask is that you don't be loud when you take her in the room!"

I breathed out a laugh and shook my head... she was going to be grounded WAY longer for that one.

"I know I hurt you, okay? But seeing you on that floor during the game... I was so scared, Toby...okay? Just stay with me... you don't have to be there in the morning or anything but just be there with me ton-." Brooke pleaded until I interrupted her with a passionate kiss.

"If you don't mind... I'd like to be there in the morning too." I smiled, "Every morning... and every night."

She nodded with a smile, "I think I can squeeze you in."

I shook my head and pulled her into another kiss, "I love you, Brooke Davis."

"I love you more, Tobin James."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No A/N

till next time!

*kelsey*