Part 19

No A/N

S6E1&E2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just as Brooke hung up the phone with her mother, there she stood in the doorway.

"Run along, boy, the adults are talking." Victoria said, waving a hand at me.

"This is our house... he doesn't have to go anywhere!" Brooke defended.

I shook my head, "It's okay Brooke, Once we get married she really won't have a say... I'll come back later, okay?" I said, giving her a kiss and heading out the door.

***

"So, Victoria is Brooke's mom but is also the CEO of her company?" Jackson asked, taking a seat on the bench.

"Yeah... well, ex-CEO since Brooke fired her. I guess ex-mother too!" I laughed.

He nodded, "So... dad said something about you needing a heart donor? What's all that about?"

"I got some type of hole in my heart, I guess." I shrugged, "A donor would get rid of it... and my heart murmur and all of that stuff. No need to worry, it isn't like I'm gonna die tomorrow!" I joked.

"That isn't funny, man... I hope you get it soon. Get rid of this heart crap you could probably play basketball again, huh?"

I nodded. To be honest, that hadn't even crossed my mind... Nathan is making his comeback, maybe I could have one of my own.

"You should probably get back to that girl of yours and save her of that awful mother." Jackson smiled, "I'll meet up with you tomorrow, okay?"

We said our goodbyes and I headed back home.

***

"Watcha got there?" I said, walking up behind Brooke and wrapping my arms around her shoulders.

"Just working on some more sketches for the new line."

"Hm, am I gonna get you at all tonight or do the dresses have you?" I smiled.

"Well," She said, wrapping her arms around my neck, "You could get me right now."

I smiled and she leaned in to kiss me, until Mouth walked in and killed the mood, "Dammit, Mouth." I teased.

"Sorry, my bad!" he smirked, "I just wanted to stop by and say goodbye. I took a job in Omaha and I'll be leaving."

Brooke pouted, "When do you leave us?"

"Tonight... actually. Once I finish packing."

"That's great, Mouth. But we sure are gonna miss you." I said, giving him the typical bro-hug.

Brooke held back tears and took him into a hug, "Goodbye, scarecrow... I'm gonna miss you most of all."

He gave us one last smile and headed out the door. Brooke sighed in realization.

"What was that?" I smirked.

"I have to go tell Milly to follow him, don't I?" Brooke said.

"Yeah..." I smiled, "Love does that to ya! Don't be too long though, okay?" I winked, heading to bed.

****E2*****

I woke up the next morning, expecting to roll over and see Brooke. For some reason, she wasn't there. I got up and headed to the kitchen, where she stood with her back towards me.

"Hey, babe, where were you last night? I missed ya." I smiled.

"Stayed at the store pretty late..." She spoke, very monotone and hurt.

"Brooke, hey... what is it?" I asked, reaching to touch her.

The moment my fingertips grazed her arm she flinched and spun to face me... and my heart immediately sunk. She was bruised everywhere... her eyes and neck the worst.

"Brooke... what happened." I started, then feeling rage build up, "Who did this to you."

"Last night, at the store... I went to leave and he just barged in." she said, "I'm not gonna cry over it."

I sighed, taking her into my arms. All she did was repeat that she wasn't going to cry. Someone rang the doorbell, which caused her to jump a little. I walked over to let them in.

"Deb? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Brooke called, said she needed help.." Deb said, then seeing Brooke's bruises, "Oh honey..."

"Did you call the police?" Deb asked, spreading makeup on Brooke's face.

"No. I don't want the others knowing about this... Not Haley, Peyton, or Nathan."

Deb sighed, "Okay..."

"You have a gun, right Deb?" Brooke asked, glancing at me quickly.

"Yes, why?"

"I want you to show me how to use it."

***

"Brooke! Toby! I'm home, sort of!" Peyton shouted as she came inside.

"Okay, don't freak out." Brooke said, showing herself to Peyton.

"Oh my god, Brooke... what happened?"

"I was doing something upstairs and then..."

"You fell down the stairs? Where were you to catch her?" Peyton teased, directing that towards me.

I shrugged and took a deep breath, "Wasn't thinking, I guess."

"Well, I have news... Lucas and I are moving in together!" Peyton cheered.

"That's usually what engaged couples do, Peyton!" Brooke joked.

"I'll let you two have some girl time..." I said, grabbing my jacket and leaving.

***

"How's Brooke holding up?" Jackson asked.

I shook my head, "Honestly, I don't know... She won't really talk to me. She flinches everytime I go near her... maybe she's mad at me for not being there... I don't know."

"Alright, look. I know this whole thing is tough... and I can't possibly imagine what you are going through... but she has to lean on you, and you have to show her she can." He said, patting me on the shoulder, "Go home, Toby."

***

I entered the bedroom slowly, seeing that she was curled in the bed with her back to me.

"Baby... I need you to talk to me. I need you to tell me what you want me to do... whatever it is I will do it, okay? Just please look at me, and talk to me." I pleaded.

She snapped her head to face me, "Is this what you want to see?" She said, referring to her bruises. "Just leave..."

"What..." I breathed.

"Leave! You weren't there, okay? You were supposed to save me, remember? But you didn't!" She yelled, "Please leave..."

"Brooke... don't..." I said, taking her hand.

"Please, go." She sighed, rolling back over.

I grabbed a few things and closed the front door behind me. I felt something in my hand... and when I looked down my heart shattered.

Brooke had placed the engagement ring in my hand while she told me to leave.

I lost Brooke, again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:'(

till next time!

*kelsey*