Chapter Five

A/N: Not much to say... 

based on Season 3 Episode 5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight was the night of the basketball pep-ralley, which meant practice officially started tomorrow... However, I had to make it through this day of school first. My train of thought was abruptly halted when I ran into someone.

"I am so sorry..." I said, making eye contact with the girl I had run into. "Are you new here?"

"Sure am, I'm Rachel," She said with one of those smirks you shouldn't trust.

"Toby, nice to meet you." I said, sending a polite smile. "But, I hear you're kinda being a bitch to Brooke so mind backing off?"

"It definitely will be." She replied, sending a wink my way, "As far as Brooke goes, I hear you're already giving her the cold shoulder." she said, turning and walking away.

***

Being as the team hadn't had a practice yet, Nathan decided to take his first step as captain to have a practice at the river court.

"So, some of us haven't played in a while so we're gunna run some full court scrimmages." He announced.

Then Lucas said something about mixing the lineup, and Nathan agreed but not in the way Luke intended.

"Fine, you can sit out. Toby you go in for Lucas."

I shot a look towards Lucas, "Go ahead, take your chance." He smiled.

I sighed, taking my place on the court. As far as how I played, not meaning to toot my own horn but I played damn good. I was so ready for this season.

***

Before the scrimmage, I decided to go see Peyton. One of my attempts just to see her, and make sure she's okay with the whole mom being here scenario.

"Look, I really appreciate this but I just don't really wanna talk about her tonight." she said, giving me an apologetic look. "I just wanna be able to depend on someone, and be THE person they go to ya know?"

I nodded, thinking of something I could tell her to feel okay with me being around. "Peyton, I have something to tell you... and there's no one else that really knows about it. I mean, Haley asked why I've been acting a certain way but... that's a side affect." I began.

She looked  at me with concerned and worried eyes. "There's some medical issues I have been having... it starts as hypoglycemia, but my last EKG showed that there was more to it than just that. I wont get the results back for a few days." I finished, feeling a sense of calmness go through me.

"So, what does that mean for you? Will you be okay, or how do you deal with it?" She said, asking question after question as if it were endless.

"Hopefully the results from my tests will give us those answers.." I paused, "That's why I snapped on Brooke. The medicine puts me on edge and I guess she caught the climax of it." She then took my hand and had a rather tight grip on it. "We should get going..."

She gave me a quick kiss and we were off to the pep rally.

***

You could say that the locker room during pre-game was rather tense. Nathan and Lucas kept going back and forth over Haley and how Nathan was treating her poorly.

"You're just like Dan..." Lucas said sternly.

With that, Nate sailed his right fist into Lucas's jaw, and before we knew it there was an all out brawl on the court in front of all of the fans. Not too long after, the cheerleaders too were having their own little match.

"What the hell did I get myself into." I mumbled.

***

Back at home, I sat outside strumming random notes on my guitar. My "first game" as a Raven didn't happen at all as expected. I took a sip of water and then continued with my guitar, just trying to make sense of everything and having all of these questions.

"You gunna be the next Haley James, huh?" A voice asked. Brooke.

I smiled, "That would require a singing voice to accompany the music." I joked, gesturing to the spot next to me for her to sit. "What brings you here?"

"I just miss you, Toby. I hate that you were right the other night...  I just-"

"Brooke, I was out of line at the bonfire. Everything was just getting to me and you were in the line of fire..."

"What's everything?" She asked, making eye contact.

I sighed, then told her exactly everything. Peyton and I, my medical issues, the whole Nathan and Haley scenario. Everything came out and I couldn't figure it out but she was just so easy to talk to, so I went with it.

"Thanks for telling me... uhm, do you mind if I crash here tonight?" She said.

I nodded, heading inside before the REAL basketball season starts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~