Chapter 32

NO A/N!

Just a reminder that Connor is now Tobin/Toby!!!!

S4E13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was our senior class and we were passing around Nate's hat to see who our partner would be for this project thing.

Mouth was with Shelly, Peyton with Nathan, Haley with Skills, Lucas with Glenda, Brooke with Chase... of course. Me? I was with Rachel, who winked at me. As we left the room to begin the project, we were given a list of questions to go through with our partner.

"I'm assuming you aren't going to do anything and just avoid this project." I said, looking at Rachel.

"Maybe... I might make ya dance for it." she smirked.

I shook my head and followed her into an empty room and looked over the questions. "It says we need to share something personal about ourselves." I said, waiting for her to answer.

"Personal... well, I like to get high that way when I am blunt or something like that I won't care and I won't regret it later." Rachel replied, taking out what I assumed to be her joint.

"You know, I remember what you said still. After the shooting... I don't think you're as heartless as people say you are." I admitted.

She rolled her eye, "What about you lover boy? What's something personal for you?"

"As dorky as it is... No matter how hurt I am over this whole Chase and Brooke thing, I still love her. I couldn't possibly stay mad at her..." I sighed, looking away knowing she wouldn't care.

"Look, you don't know what happened. He could have kissed her and when you turned away she could've smacked him or something... You don't know."

She had a point... But at the same time I wasn't even aware that she was going to be with him that night.

***

"Earth to Toby... What's the next thing on the list?" Rachel broke my thoughts.

"Sorry... uhm, share a worry or fear that you have."

"Hmm... Probably getting fat." She said, then sending me a smirk, "Just kidding, sort of. I kind of stole something and I am afraid of getting busted for it."

"What'd you steal?"

"Just something for a friend..." She said, "Come on, your turn." 

"Well, I guess the future freaks me out. Not knowing what I'll be doing or where I'll be. Not just with Brooke... but beyond that. After high school, will I go to college or just get into a job right away? Will my medical issues get better, or even worse? All that..."

"You're a pretty emotional guy, huh?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"You feel so strong about everything. You can set your heart and mind to something just so you can have it someday... you act and say things with your heart, not your mind. That's pretty amazing."

I was shocked. Rachel had just said something nice, and loving, and didn't laugh after she said it.

***

"Where do you want to be 10 years from now?" Rachel asked since she had taken over the questions.

I sighed, "Honestly, I just want to be doing something that matters. Whether that means being a husband, brother, even a father... I just want to be doing something that matters."

"Well, I want to be 28." Rachel joked, "Hopefully modeling somewhere... married to a hot, rich guy."

"You don't care about any of this, do you? So why keep going?" I scoffed.

"Hey, little do you know I am remembering everything you say. Remember who my roommate is?"

I looked at her confused, "What the hell does that mean?"

"It means, you have been talking about all this love you have for her without realizing it. Guess who is gonna relay the message."

I breathed out a laugh, "And why would you want to do that?"

"Because," She said, getting comfortable, "Believe it or not I do have a heart, somewhere, and Brooke has a different smile with you. A good different."

***

"Alright, Tobin James, time to open up. Share a secret about yourself." she smirked, waiting for something juicy.

I didn't hesitate, "I have this letter... from Brooke. She wrote it to me while she was gone over the summer but I haven't opened it yet. Can add that to my fears, I guess."

"Why won't you open it?"

"Well, at the time, her and Lucas were kind of a thing so I just didn't... but now? I don't know, I just am afraid I guess."

"Well, since you opened up I guess it's fair I do," she said while thinking, "To be honest, I never felt anything with the guys I slept with. I don't know why I did either but, I didn't feel a single thing." 

"Someone is out there for you, Rachel. Trust me." I smiled, "Well...should probably get back to class I guess."

"Toby... wait." She said, then continued after I faced her, "It will all be okay... with Brooke. Trust me."

***

After school was out I was at my locker when Brooke came up to me.

"Hey boyfriend."

"Oh, I didn't know Chase was here." I snapped.

"Wow, okay... I don't remember having a conversation with someone suddenly meant we were dating." she retorted.

"A conversation? Brooke, I saw you the other night. I was at the house and I went to leave and I saw the two of you..." I trailed off.

"Yeah, well I saw a picture of you and Peyton. Grinding is considered more of a dating thing don't you think?"

"Dammit, Brooke. That should have been you! Peyton and I are just friends... everyone was there last night! Everyone but you... I guess I just needed you... like you wanted, but it turns out that you forgot to love and need me back. If he's the guy you want then--"

"Toby... stop. He is NOTHING compared to you, okay? He is just some guy... but you? You are THE guy. More importantly, you are MY guy. I never thought guys like you still existed and I guess I was still afraid to fall for you but I'm not anymore! You love me and need me... and I love you back." Brooke cried.

My eyes snapped up to meet hers, "You... you what?" I smiled.

"I love you, Toby." She smiled, "Now don't be a butt about it." She laughed, kissing me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:    xD

love is in da air!!!

till next time!

*kelsey*