Chapter 84

When I was younger my mother used to say to me that no matter what you do, no matter what you had to do in life, you should always be prepared. I believe the modern clichéd saying was fail to prepare and prepare to fail. Somehow I felt that we didn't prepare enough; but it had to do. The day came...and they were coming.

I'm sure they would be fully prepared.

Adrian and Scarlet led us to the location. Their chosen one status enabled them to locate the place where the spell had to be performed to wipe Chad and the others out. I walked into the cave with Satyr, Adrian and Scarlet. Nick followed me inside together with Darcy and Del. The others took position outside and waited for their arrival.

Adrian was surprisingly quiet; then again, not so surprising. He always got an immense quietness whenever he was nervous or scared though he would never admit it. His hair was combed neatly out of his face...a different look on him. He was dressed in all black which I guess reflected his mood. His thin material black V necked T shirt clung closely to his muscles which I knew were tense under his false layer of confidence and his charcoal jeans went all the way into his black timber boots. Unlike the rest of us, Adrian did not bare any weapons on his person. He preferred to use his supernatural abilities to fight; should we have to.

"Why are we waiting?" His green eyes were weary as he looked at the witch.

"Adrian, they need to be within a certain range for the spell to work. Relax, we're gonna be fine dear." She touched his shoulder but that did nothing for his anxiety.

"How is it gonna work?" It was Darcy who spoke. She stood next to Nick and like Adrian she was a bit scared. I was surprised that she agreed to help us but I also knew that she would do anything for Nick. Her blood red hair was tied up into a messy bun. She wore black jeans like Adrian's but instead of a black T shirt hers was burgundy accompanied by a burgundy leather jacket that was left unzipped. Around her waist was a belt which contained a Colt 1861 Navy Revolver, a Beretta 92 and a Bersa 83. She expected it to come to a fight.

"It's going to work Darcy." Nick finally spoke as he out a cigarette.

"How will it work Nick? We don't have the third person. All three of them are needed to do the spell. Do you guys really think improvising will work"

"It has to work." He faked a smile and looked at her but she wasn't buying it. He dug into the pockets of his grey jeans and pulled out a mint and popped it into his mouth. I was honestly expecting another cigarette. His face was paler than usual which gave away the fact that he did not sleep last night. Maybe he was scared too. His eyes were dark; inside and around them. His bronze hair was messy and scattered as usual but he still looked good. I wish he would talk to me. I guess he was still angry from the night before.

The nerve wracking silence persisted inside of the cave.

I was about to say something, anything, just to break that but Avalon's loud footsteps beat me to it as we all heard her running inside.

"Jennifer!" Gravel scattered as she came to a quick stop. "They're close."

Those were the words we were all waiting for yet it gave us all chills and increased out fear even more.

"Del, you and I are gonna go outside with the others. Jennifer and Darcy stay in here with Satyr, Adrian and Scarlet." Nick's mode turned into a completely strategic one and he began to walk outside.

"Wait no! I am coming with you." Darcy protested.

"Darcy, I need you to stay here with them ok? If anyone hurts them we're all screwed. Stay here with Jennifer and guard them alright?" He held her hands and looked her in the eyes. I think a part of him didn't want Darcy out there where things could get nasty.