Chapter 69

Red blue and white clouded his sight as he stood against the brick wall of Stefano's. Thousands of American flags flapped in the wind as the streets became more and more flooded with patriotic Californians. If he knew that this was going to be the atmosphere outside he would have considered doing this over the phone; but he knew it had to be in person.

"Excuse me sir would you like a−

"For the sixth fucking time I don't want a..." He stopped talking as he looked down and saw that it was a little girl around the age of eight holding a miniature American flag up to him with a sad and frightened look on her face.

"I'm sorry." She pouted and looked down at her shoes that carried the same pattern as the flag.

Ugh fuck my life! "Oh no, no, hey I didn't mean that. Sorry I had a bad morning that's all." He smiled and tucked her curl behind her ear. "Can I have one of your pretty flags?"

Her lips curled and she extended one out to him. "Here you go."

"Oh thank you so much I love this I'm gonna keep it in my bedroom forever. What's your name?"

"Isabelle."

"What a pretty name. Enjoy the parade Isabelle...be safe ok?"

"Thank you bye bye." She smiled and skipped away.

"Ok bye bye now." He smiled and flung the flag over his shoulder onto the sidewalk.

"Now, now, Adrian, that wasn't nice at all, was it?" Scarlet smiled and waved the flag that she picked up off of the ground.

He scoffed and rolled his eyes. "It's about time you got here. I see your period isn't the only latecomer this month."

"Someone had a rough night."

"Rough existence actually and just when I think 'hey you know what maybe shit can't get more fucked up with me' you come along."

"Can we go inside now? Maybe coffee will calm you down."

He pushed the door open and walked inside. "That parade gave me a headache. Hey Lydia darling table four, surprise me."

"Be right with you Adrian." The waitress called over her shoulder without even looking at him as she scribbled dozens of orders on her scrappy notepad while trying to balance a tray of empty coffee mugs.

"You come here so often that even the waitress knows you by voice." Scarlet smiled and sat down in the crowded coffee shop.

"She actually my−never mind. Listen this is not a date ok, I called you here to discuss−

"The thing growing inside of me?" She folded her arms and looked at him seriously. "Those were your exact words on the phone right?"

He exhaled and glared at her. "Starting to regret not keeping this talk via mobile."

"I don't...it's nice to see you. I think you've forgotten but there was a time where you wanted to be my friend."

"Highlight, bold, underline and fricking font size seventy two the word 'was'."

"Listen Adrian...if you're scared it's totally ok it's normal for first time parents to be. The important thing is we're together." She smiled and placed her hand over his.

"Well wasn't that the worst fucking consolation I have ever gotten in over one hundred years. Scarlet get this ok write it down if you fucking need to sweetheart, you and I are not and will never be together. You think a baby is gonna make me wanna marry you and live happily ever after huh? You think we're gonna get an apartment in the fucking suburbs with a nice little garage to park our Toyota minivan with the little car seat in the back? You think I'm gonna wake up every Sunday morning and mow the lawn while you and our toddler sing the Annie soundtrack and dance in the sprinklers?"