Chapter 81

Ember's P.O.V

I tried to find someone else; another werewolf...but it didn't work. I did find other people; four actually. They were all very nice but they had one common flaw. None of them were him.

Sleeping at night, or trying to at least, was harder than anything else. Each time I closed my eyes a fragment of pain lined my body. It was not physical but it sure felt like it.

His hands touched her body and I felt pain.

His eyes looked into hers deeply and I felt pain.

His lips traced her warm skin and I felt pain.

His lips crushed hers and I felt pain.

His bare body smeared hers and a part of me died. In fact, there wasn't a part of me that felt life anymore.

I hadn't eaten in eight days. I didn't feel hungry.

I guess it was my fault really. I didn't tell him how I felt. I knew that Aiden loved me.

And I loved him...

I sat up on my bed that hadn't been properly used in days and sobbed into my shaky hands.

"Aiden..." Saying his name made me sob even more but hearing it out loud soothed me in a way I couldn't understand. "Aiden."

There was no response and I was getting angry.

"Aiden!" The lamp sparked when I ripped it out of the socket and slammed it against the door all the way across my room. "Aiden!" My throat burned as I screamed louder and so did my hands. I looked down and saw the blood and was confused until I saw the broken glass shattered on my bed; the glass that was filled with water that my father brought for me three days ago.

My tears dripped down my pale cheeks and I squeezed the broken glass tighter in my palms hoping that somehow he would come to take the pain away but he didn't. He wasn't coming. He loved someone else.

"Someone else...someone else." I cried and laughed at the same time and dug the glass deeper into my hands. "He loves someone else. He loves someone else!" My screams grew louder and a banging came at my door.

"Ember? Ember!" My father's worried voice boomed outside.

Both my hands were dripping with blood and I grabbed the sheets on my bed which was stained with dried up blood to wipe them clean.

"Ember? Open the door sweetheart."

"I'm c−coming dad." I flung clothes out of my way and fetched my gloves. As soon as they were on I opened the door. "Hey dad."

"What is wrong?" His eyes examined me and tried to make their way into my room but I stood in the way. "Ember what did you do?"

"Nothing, I was just...I was just−

"Ember you haven't eaten in over a week. There's blood on your sheets I can smell it."

"Uh yea it was an accident I was just−

"Cutting yourself...the blood is seeping through your gloves."

I held my hands behind my back.

"Honey, you have to stop doing this to yourself. I get that you're going through something but you are going to kill yourself."

"I'm already dead dad." I felt the water soaking my face again. "I'm already dead."

In a shocking gesture my father took me in his arms and hugged me tightly. I couldn't remember the last time he hugged me but despite everything I liked it. "I know that you are."

"You do?" I didn't think my father with show me empathy especially towards something like this.

"You're right sweetheart, you are dead." He kissed my forehead and looked at me with a smile.

"What do you−

I guess the amount of pain I put myself through recently accounted for the fact that I didn't really feel it. But I knew something was wrong. Now, my hands were not the only things bleeding. My white T-shirt was stained with a circle of blood that came from the gash in my stomach. I looked up at my father with more tears in my eyes but I didn't see him anymore. I didn't see my father.

"You're not...you're not my−

"I'm not your father Ember." The man who was not my father but who had my father's face spoke to me with a smile.

I coughed and blood splashed out of my mouth and my knees buckled causing me to crash onto the cold, hard tiles.

"You know we killed two others." He laughed and circled me. "Caretakers...like yourself. But none of them were the right one."

"How...how did...you−

"How did I find you? Easy." His boot rested on the gash in my stomach. "It was stupid of you to let your other Caretakers know where you'd be. It was also stupid that you let them know that you were in charge." He pushed his boot down harder and I screamed.

"Shh...I'm talking." He smiled. "Anyway, when Lydia was killed we stole some information from her head. She knew everything...she even knew that you were that special Caretaker; the one Jennifer and the rest were hoping to find."

"I won't...I won't help them." My blood was choking me and I gagged and coughed. "Please don't...don't kill...me."

"Oh Ember." He stooped next to me and kissed my head. "You said it yourself...you're already dead."

He smiled and his eyes turned golden before his hands rose up andslashed my neck. My eyes didn't close but there was nothing but darkness.