Chapter 28

We walked back into the coffee shop with Del's bright cocoa colored eyes trailing our every move. I could tell he was confused as to what was going on.

"I usually know the answer to everything but I have to ask," He said leaning onto the table. "what is going on with you two?" He looked from me to Nick, then back to me.

"It's nothing." Nick said pulling out a chair for me to sit. He took a seat next to me. "Jennifer and I just need to talk."

"Oh, ok." Del said sitting back in his chair. Nick stared at him silently for a while. "What?"

"Privately." Nick said in an obvious tone.

Del laughed. "Right of course. I knew that." He said getting up from the chair. "I'll see you around."

I gave him a small smile as he left. "He's cute."

"He's a nerd." Nick stated calling the waitress.

I couldn't help but laugh softly and shake my head when I noticed that she fixed her bra and her hair before walking over to him.

"What can I get you?" Her voice was soft and a bit seductive. Her back was blocking my entire face while she gave Nick a perfect view of her front.

"I'll have a cup of black coffee...heavy on the caffeine." He said scanning her slowly from head to toe with his signature side lip smile. She blushed typically then turned to me.

"What about you?" She asked, all politeness gone.

"I'm fine thank you." I replied in a similar tone. Before leaving she took a glance at Nick once more and she was off.

"Are you sure you don't want anything? It's on me." He said.

"Are you sure you just want coffee? Or would you like the waitress as well?"

He laughed. "I was giving her what she wanted." He said. "Besides, she's a blond. I prefer...brunettes." He smiled touching the edges of my hair.

"Anyway, don't make this seem like a date because it's not. Let's get to what we really came back here for."

He leaned back in his seat. "It's always straight down to business with you huh?"

"Just like it's always games with you."

"If I tell you what I know−

"Here we go." I sighed. "Continue."

He smiled and leaned in closer. "What's in it for me?"

"What do you want?"

"Ok, if I tell you, then you have to go on a real date with me. No business. Just fun."

"Nick, I have a boyfriend."

"And? Football has a goal keeper but that doesn't mean you can't score."

"Come on this is serious." I said putting all games aside. "What happened to Helen Octavius?"

"My mother wasn't normal."

"I gathered that from reading her diary." I said. "She said that she heard the neighbors."

He took a deep breath before he spoke. "She was clairaudient. That means that she could hear things that weren't actually there; things that normal people couldn't hear; things that couldn't be seen."

"You mean like spirits?"

"Yes. When she said that she heard the women talking, she didn't actually hear them. The spirits used to communicate with her." He explained. "She was very hypersensitive and was strongly linked to the spiritual world. She had her beliefs which were different from those of others. She believed in good and bad and the spirits supported those beliefs."