Chapter 82

Nick's P.O.V

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Her voice was clear yet unclear at the same time. I knew who she was, but at the same time I didn't. "Once this is done it cannot be undone so you−

"I'm sure." I exhaled and closed my eyes and thought about them; all of them. The more I thought about them the more convinced I was to do this yet I didn't know who they were.

"Take off your shirt." Her voice sounded more nervous than mine was and I obeyed without another word. I leaned my body over and she powered the gun but didn't touch me.

"What's wrong?"

"Are you sure you don't want this somewhere else?" She sighed and set the gun down. "I mean, putting this on you can be a bad idea. What if they see it?"

"No one is ever going to see them. I would never let that happen. And if somehow someone does...I'll compel them to forget."

"We can put it somewhere else Nick, anywhere else besides−

"It has to be on me. Do it. It'll be ok." I turned around to look at her but I couldn't see her face even though she was right in front of me. "Just tell me...are you positive it'll work?"

"More positive that it'll work than the sun will rise again tomorrow." Her response boosted my confidence in what we were about to do and I nodded towards her and exposed my bare back.

The gun buzzed to life again and the moment it touched my skin I felt a rush of fire spread through my entire body. Water lined my eyes and I couldn't hold my screams in.

"Nick? Nick! Nick wake up!"

Every dot of ink dragged a flame with it through my body.

"Nick!"

I flew up out of my bed when she slapped me across my face. I opened my eyes to find Darcy's staring back into them with a worried look on her pale face.

"What's wrong with you? Were you dreaming?" Her soft hands cupped my face gently and I sighed. I didn't know if it was a sigh of relief or not.

"Uh yea, I guess so." After a deep breath I looked at her. "What are you doing here?"

After I told Darcy that I was in love in Jennifer she kept her distance. I haven't seen her or heard from her in days.

She let go of my face and smiled a little. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." I pulled her into a hug and kissed her blood red hair. I loved Darcy. I really did. But Jennifer was the woman I loved most.

"I could tell that you did." She laughed. "So much that you were screaming for me in your sleep a minute ago."

"Haha real funny but don't flatter yourself. I wish it was you in that dream." I did. The only thing that dream did was confuse me even more and I certainly didn't need any more confusion in my life. Reaching over my bed I took a cigarette out of the pack and lit it before looking at her again.

"So um...Del told me that you guys are gonna do this in two days."

"Mhm...during the solar eclipse." I blew smoke into the air above us and she smiled. The only thing that I preferred Darcy over Jennifer for was her total acceptance of my smoking. "I can't wait to kill that fucker and his sister."

"I still can't believe that Chad did that. He was such a great guy."

"He was a great actor Darce...that's all he was. That's all they were." I shook my head and clouded the room again.

"You were too." She looked up at me through thick lashed as she curled her hair with her fingers.

"What do you mean?" I crinkled my forehead and took one last pull on the cigarette.

She laughed and attempted to get up but I held her hand.

"What do you mean?"

"You...you pretended to love me." She sighed. "That night after I killed that boy near the nightclub and you took me home and we−

"I was not pretending. Darcy, I do love you, I always had and I am never going to stop." I kissed her forehead and looked into her bright eyes. "I am so sorry that I fell in love with someone else. I didn't know or plan for that to happen but it did and I can't help it."

"It's ok Nick. I want you to be happy and I know that she makes you happy." Her hands touched my face. "I love you. I've loved you for years and I know that I am never gonna stop loving you. But I'm not mad at you. I need you to know that."

"You were a bit mad at first."

"That was just me being a woman." She laughed and messed my hair up. "But I'm gonna be ok."

"Good." I hugged her into me and rubbed her hair. "You'll find the right guy; someone better than me."

"I don't think that guy exists."

"The right woman then?" I asked and she slapped me.

"So, did you guys make it official?"

"Please...Jennifer is still in denial that she feels anything for me."

"Just give it some time."

"Would you be joining us though? In the defeat of Tweedledum and Tweedledee?" I rolled my eyes at the thought of them both.

"Del said they have an army. How are we gonna fight an army plus them?"

"It's not gonna come to a fight. As long as we do the spell they're gonna−

"Drop dead?" She looked at me and I really had no answer. "That sounds a bit too easy don't you think? These things are never easy, Nick."

"I'm not entirely sure how it's supposed to work but I have faith that it would."

"What if it doesn't?"

"It would Darcy. It has to." I sighed.

"Hey, if you believe that it would then so do I. But just in case it does come to a fight...I will be there."

"Thank you."

"Did you guys find the other two people? If this spell is all we're depending on then we should have everything we need right?"

"Um...about that...we haven't found the third yet but we're hoping that we do soon."

"Nick...you said we have two more days."

"We do and she'll show up. We know she would."

"How are you so sure?"

"Because a lot of lives are depending on it, Darcy." I looked into her eyes once more and I hoped that she saw the desperation in mine.