Chapter 60

"My caretaker?" He asked very confused as he finished his third drink.

"Yes, I know it sounds a bit weird but I've been your caretaker for a very long time."

"So...you're supposed to do what exactly?"

Lydia smiled and leaned in closer. "Exactly what the title suggests; take care of you."

"I don't really understand." He shrugged and lifted his empty cup; his way of asking for a refill.

"You had enough alcohol today." She placed the cup on her tray and looked at him again. "I'm always around Adrian, even though you may not see me. It's my job to protect you and make sure you're ok."

"Where were you like...I don't know the seventy five times I was dying before."

"I'm afraid that sometimes you get yourself into situations where I am not able to come rescue you or I might die. But don't worry, I was always close."

"Who gave you this job?"

"I can't tell you that, I've said enough already."

"Now, where have I heard that line before?" Another voice sounded from the door and Adrian and Lydia turned around.

"Aiden? What are you doing here?" Adrian stood up and walked towards him but Aiden's eyes were focused on Lydia.

"We thought you were dead, Adrian." Finally he looked at him. "We fanned out around the city to look for you. Jennifer is nearby." He stuck his head outside and shouted. "Hey Jen I found him!"

"I actually was dead but Lydia helped me. She h−

"Who are you?" Aiden walked past his friend and spoke to the waitress.

"Um...I'm Lydia. I work here." His intense stare made her a bit nervous accompanied by the bow and arrow in his hands.

"You said it was your job to take care of Adrian?"

"I−I'm sorry I'm not supposed to discuss that with you."

"Yea, I know about all of the secrecy but I need answers." He stepped closer to her and she looked at Adrian.

"Aiden, I think you're scaring her."

"I just need to know something. Do you know Ember?" He stared into Lydia's deep brown eyes.

"I'm sorry I don't know−

"Don't lie to me! Do you know who Ember is?"

"She's in charge. Well actually her dad is but we only see her wh−

"In charge of what?"

"I can't say."

He sighed in frustration. "Do you know where she is?"

"No, her dad took her away. I don't know where to. She said that she won't be back here ever again."

He sighed again, this time wiping his eyes.

"Who the hell is Ember?" Adrian asked.

"She's um...I think she was my−

"Adrian?" I was panting loudly from racing to Aiden's call a few minutes ago.

"Jennifer." The curly headed boy who gives me major heart attacks at least five times a month smiled at me.

"Oh Adrian." I ran to him and pulled him into my arms. "What the hell happened? I felt it...you died."

"Bit of a weird tale honestly, how about we go home, start a bonfire, burn some marshmallows and I'll tell you all about it?"

I slapped him playfully for cracking jokes at that moment but kept him in my arms. "Was it Ian?"

"Mhm."

I sighed.

"But hey," He moved out of my hold a bit to look at me. "You know it's not actually Ian, Jen. He's being used. I could tell. Before he attacked me...or it attacked me, he asked for my help."

"He did?"

"Yea, he sounded really scared." There was a new layer of worry painted on Adrian's face. "He said that he came to you."

"What?"

"He came to the house to ask for your help and your new boy toy sent him away." He rolled his eyes.

"My boy− do you mean Nick?"

When Adrian's nod confirmed that it was indeed Nick who sent Ian away I was beyond furious. Who the hell does Nick think he is to send Ian away? My blood boiled and I slammed a porcelain cup off of a table in frustration which caused Aiden, Adrian and a waitress to jump. When that wasn't enough I flipped the whole damn table over causing it to break in half. Luckily the shop was empty except for us four.

"Um I know that you're angry but can you try to not break things? It's gonna come out of my salary." The waitress spoke to me with unease and fright and I almost felt bad for making the poor girl so scared.

"I'm sorry...I need to go. Adrian, I'll see you at home. Try not to get yourself killed on the way."

"I'm afraid I cannot make such promises." He replied and winked.

"Aiden..." I looked at him with pleading eyes.

"I've got this Jen, no worries." He raised his bow and arrow and I smiled in spite of my immense anger before heading home. This was the first time I hoped to see the chain smoker at my house.