Chapter 13

"I'll have a scotch on the rocks."

"Make that two." The male voice spoke to the bartender while pulling out a stool. He wasn't even properly seated when the smell of cigarettes clouded the once clean air.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the chain smoker." I said not looking at him.

"Not the first time I've been called that." He smiled looking at me. "Won't be the last either."

"Thanks." I said to the bartender who just handed me my drink. "So, what are you doing here?" I asked and finally sent my gaze in his direction. He wore dark jeans like the last time I saw him, but tonight his torso was covered with a navy blue V-neck T-shirt. I didn't really notice last time how muscular his physic was, neither did I notice the tattoos on his upper arm.

"So what, a guy can't party?"

"I meant what are you doing upstairs? The party's down below."

He laughed. "Question is, what are you doing here, at all?" He looked me in the eye. "You don't look like a party type."

I took a mouthful of my drink for the first time since I got it. "I'm not I just, I just needed a break." I sighed and closed my eyes, listening to the bass from the music downstairs.

"You seem like a nice girl." He said and I knew there was going to be a but. "but, there also seems to be something bothering you."

"It's nothing." I took another mouthful.

"Come on sweetheart," he pulled his stool closer to mine. Now the scent of cigarettes was mixed with alcohol. "you can tell me."

I looked at his slightly reddened grey eyes. "I don't even know you."

"Ok, well don't be shy, tell me your name."

"Jennifer."

"Hmmm, Jennifer." He seemed as though he was studying my name. "You know, long ago, people named their children based on what they were. Or what they wanted them to become. You could tell a lot about someone just by their name. For instance, if someone had a name like Judas, they were known to be a betrayer. Similarly, the name Priscilla suggests that the person is somewhat a witch. Of course people long ago believed in many different kinds of creatures." His eyes landed on me when he said that but quickly moved away. "But today, a lot of people still believe it. I believe it."

"I never really thought about that before."

"Do you know what Jennifer means?"

"Frustrated one?" I asked taking another sip of the drink.

He laughed. "Not quite. It means 'Fair One'."

"Frustrated makes more sense."

"But I'm sure fair one suits you perfectly." He bowed his head closer to mine. "Some languages translate the name to Fair Angel."

"So you think that you know me because of my name?"

"I know some of you now." He smiled. "I won't mind sticking around to know the rest." I felt his breath gently brush my face; his face was still very close to mine.

I laughed. "You? Stick around?"

"What?"

"You don't seem to be that type." I finished my drink.

"Maybe not for anyone," he spoke softly. "but it's not every day you get to meet a fair Angel."

"Tell me, what's your name?"

"I rather you figure that out on your own." He said finally tasting his drink and by the time he was finished, his glass was empty.

"Well what's the meaning? Is it another word for cigarette?"

He laughed softly. I couldn't help but notice the sexiness of it. "It means 'People's Victory.'"

"I think I need to get to know you before I could fit that in, I just don't see it." I laughed, bumping his shoulder with mine playfully.

"Anyway, my fair Angel," he threw his arm around my shoulder. "enough about me, back to what's bothering you."

"That man who was killed the other day, his death wasn't normal." My voice was sounding tired.

"I know."

I looked up at him. "You do?"

He nodded.

"How do you know?"

"I just know."

"Listen, I know that you know something. So just tell me."

"And how are you so sure that I know something?"

"You said it yourself. You said that there were gonna be more bodies."

He laughed again and took out a cigarette. "People die every day Angel," he said putting the butt in his mouth.

I snatched the cigarette out of his mouth and threw it behind us. "I am serious."

"You have gotta stop doing that." He reached in his pocket.

"If you put another cigarette into your mouth I swear fair and Angel are the last two words you are gonna use to describe me as a person."

He withdrew his empty hands. "Smoking is not so bad; I bet you never even tried. You know it's never too late, what do you say?"

"Stop side tracking me and tell me what you know." I said grabbing his collar.

"Look, all I know is, you better stop trying to find this killer."

I let him go. "Do you know who it is?"

"I don't know who it is, or what it is. I just know that it's dangerous and I wouldn't like one of those bodies to ever be yours."

"I have to stop it." I said.

"You don't need to be everyone's protector, Angel." He whispered as he touched my face. "Sometimes you need to protect yourself."

"I−

A loud scream echoed through the entire building and the music stopped. With widened eyes I looked at him before we raced down the stairs.

"What happened? What happened here?" I asked hysterically searching for any kind of danger.

"They were dancing." A voice said in the crowd. A short dark haired female came forward.

"Who?" I asked in front of her.

"My sister. She was dancing with a man, a strange man, I didn't really see him." She was crying.

"Where is she?" I asked, and then followed her eyes to where a woman lied limp on the ground with nothing but marks on her neck. "We have to do something." I said to the guy I just ran downstairs with, the one who called me Angel, but he had disappeared.