Chapter 54

When he arrived to the western side of town, at the old abandoned night club where several teens go for covert affairs and late night parties, the blood was already rushing down the drain from the opened wound in his stomach. Opened blue eyes stared stone cold into the night's sky, seeming deeper than usually embedded into his pale, lifeless skin. His torn out gut was scattered across his broken legs, legs she must have broken to take him easier. Thankfully the night was darker than usual and anyone passing by was either too drunk or too high to notice the body and blood or smart enough to not question it. He took the flask of vodka out of his back pocket and stooped down next to the guy, simply staring at his lifeless, sad body while taking a gulp of the liquor.

"What am I gonna do with you?" He sighed, talking to himself out loud while looking at the boy, but not actually talking about him. With a shake of his head he dug into the front pocket of his worn out jeans, pulling out the last one of his cigarettes. When the favorite thing in his life burned to half its size, he stood up and poured the remainder of his vodka onto the body.

"Safe journey kid..." He took a deep breath and threw the cigarette. In minutes the body was gobbled in flames and the ashes blew serenely and calmly into the air. Nick only hoped that whoever the boy was, his soul would do the same.

"Nick?" Her voice was small and frail against the violence and roughness that was the night.

"Oh Darcy." His brows frowned and he tsked his tongue at the sight of her. Her white blouse was re-colored in so much red that he thought she may have used it to clean up the blood. There were strokes of blood on her ivory, flush cheeks that may have been made by the struggle the victim put up. Bits and pieces of intestines were still trapped in the depths of her nails and even her blond hair was newly streaked with a deep red. Tears like rust water washed her face and she made her way into his opened arms. He didn't mind the mess on him as he comforted her.

"Nick, I'm so sorry I−

"Shh, don't. I know Darcy." He held her face in his hands and she stared into his crystal grey eyes, even though she could not quite read his expression.

She held his hands as she spoke. "Maybe we should leave again Nick."

"Leave?"

"Yea, just like the last time, don't you remember?"

He did remember. That year their relationship had flourished had been the year they left after her mass murders. Nick decided that a little time away would have been good for her, but it turned out to be good for them both. He remembered days and days where they would lie in each other's arms after making passionate love under the skies of Hawaiian shores. He remembered the happiness being with Darcy brought him; the bliss he had felt every day. But as he closed his eyes now he also remembered the times he questioned if he really loved her or whether or not he was just in love with the idea of being in love. He was also clearly aware that all of that was before...before he laid his eyes on the beautiful sandy brown hair falling gracefully over her shoulders; before he saw those perfectly ordinary yet breathtaking cocoa brown eyes through which his lifelong question of the purpose of life was answered and before he fell absolutely and unbelievably in love with the perfection that is Jennifer Grey.

"Nick?" Like water in a circuit she shut down his thoughts and once more he focused on her. "What do you say? Let's leave." She smiled, placing small, persuasive kisses along his tense jaw.

How could he leave? He could never imagine himself saying goodbye to Jennifer, even if she didn't love him in the way he wanted her to.

"Darcy, I can't...we can't just leave, not with everything that's happening." He attempted to be logical.

"Please Nick, listen, that girl and her pack could handle it." The way she referred to Jennifer as that girl made him angry in so many ways, none of which he allowed to be seen.

"We can't leave. I am not going to." His face was serious.

"Fine," She let out a sigh "but you have to promise me something. Do this and I'll promise no more trouble like tonight."

"Anything, I'll do anything Darcy just name it." His eyes lit up with hope.

She took his face in her hands and pulled his mouth to hers, kissing him like she used to, full of love, burning passion and wicked desire. "Come back to me."

Darkness engulfed the light that was his hope but instead of telling her he kissed her once more. Darcy may have had his body tonight but Jennifer had his heart for eternity.