Chapter 8

Sun Valley High was a typical American styled high school. The over sized sectored cafeteria, the long strenuous hallways filled with blocks of endless metal lockers, the different cliques that ranged from the popular superiors to the hopelessly and abused inferior losers, were all the same. Back at Ridge Wood High Aiden Carter fell into the highest possible rank on the popularity charts; however, now, he preferred to settle for a simpler high school experience. It was almost eight thirty when Tucker came around.

"Carter." He said in a sort of provoking tone as always. Aiden rolled his eyes and continued putting books into his locker. "Hey, you didn't hear me Carter?"

"Heard you, chose to ignore you."

Tucker laughed softly and spoke again. "So I heard you tried out for the football team. I'm telling you you're not gonna make it. You can't be a quarterback."

"That's why I am aiming to be captain." Aiden smiled more to himself.

"I don't think so Carter." One of the two guys who are always with Tucker said. Aiden never quite got his name and he didn't care to.

"He's right, you better back out now!" Tucker shouted at him drawing a crowd.

"I don't think so Phillips." Aiden said looking directly at Tucker.

Without another word Tucker shoved him into the door of his locker and grabbed a handful of his shirt collar in his hands. "Now you listen to me loser, either you drop out or I am gonna make you regret you even tried."

A group of students assembled around them yelling "Fight!"

"Get your hands off me!" Aiden spat the words in Tucker's face when he kicked him in the crotch causing Tucker to stagger backwards. In less than a minute Tucker was ready for round two but he had no idea what he was in for. Aiden's anger surpassed the average person. Boiling with rage he clenched his jaw tightly and his hands were in tight fists. He was letting his anger get out of control. He was forgetting what he truly was. Sweat was pouring down his red cheeks and his breathing was so fast it looked as though he wanted to collapse. There was a burning sensation in his veins and this only happened when....CRAP!

"Hey, get out of the way. MOVE!" A female voice shouted making its way through the crowd of conflict craved students. "Come on we gotta get you out of here." She whispered to Aiden as she held onto his hand and tried to tow him away.

"It's happening!" He yelled gasping for breath and falling into the lockers.

"No it's not. Breathe Aiden ok. Take deep breaths. You cannot turn here." She chanted trying to pull him through the crowd.

"I can't...I can't help it."

"You can do this." She said pulling him into an empty classroom. "Listen to me, you can do this I know you can." She sat on the floor next to him holding his face in her hands.

"Who...who are you?" He managed to ask while taking deep breaths as she instructed.

"I'm here to help you." She gave him a reassuring smile while wiping the sweat off of his face with a small white towel she pulled out of her bag. "Here, hold my hand and take deep breaths."

He held onto her hand as if it was all the hope he had left in the world and strangely that's how it felt. "Do you feel better?"

"Yea, I do." He spoke softly looking her in her deep brown eyes which were just inches away from his.

"Good." She smiled, running her fingers through his fluffy hair, neatening it.

"You didn't tell me who you were."

"I did. I said I'm here to help you. Isn't that what I did?"

"Yea but−

"Ok, close your eyes and relax." She touched his eyelids so that he closed them. "Take care Aiden." His eyes were closed for a while but when he opened them she was gone.

"Hey! There's no running in here young man." The tall lady at the desk said angrily to him.

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry but I have a question." He said slumping onto the desk.

"Is this the way to come to the school's head receptionist? What is your name?"

"Uh it's Aiden, Aiden Carter. I gotta ask you something, please."

She scoffed and said, "Make it quick."

"Ok, um is there a girl, who attends this school, she's kinda tall, well not that much she's about 5"8?"

The receptionist raised her perfectly shaped eyebrows. "There are hundreds of girls here around that height. Be more specific."

"Ok, she's really pretty, she's got curly jet black hair and her skin is light brown."

"Be more specific."

"She had really nice brown eyes, the ones that make you wanna look into them all day, she has a beautiful smile and a really, really warm and calming touch. She was wearing a black skirt; the hem touched right above her knees with a navy blue T-shirt and a black cardigan. I didn't really notice her shoes."

"What's her name?"

"I don't know, do you think I would be giving you all of this description if I did?"

"Hey, watch your tone. I'm trying to help you here." She walked to a cabinet and pulled out some files. "Any of these ladies here look like your mystery girl?"

He scanned all of the pictures one by one. "Not even close."

"Well I'm sorry but these were the closest to your description." She took the folders away. "Are you sure you saw this girl?"

He sighed and nodded. "I'm positive."

"Ok, well I am positive she doesn't attend this school. We would've had her file."

"Thanks for your help, um Mrs. Garcia." He read the name on her name tag.

"I guess it's why I'm here." She smiled. "Cookies?" She asked revealing a plate of chocolate chip snacks.

"No thanks." He returned her smile but left the room very disappointed.