Chapter 74

Adrian's P.O.V

"Hello?" The flock of black crows flew off at the echo of my voice and I raised my arms to guard my face for a brief second. "Is there anyone here?" I walked slowly towards the beams of light which were sneaking through the branches ahead of me.

Every sound, from the crunching of the dried leaves beneath my boots to the knocking on a tree trunk by a woodpecker made me jumpy. Where the fuck am I? I took a long inhale of the air around me but there was nothing. No animal...no person...nothing around. I remember the bottle of tequila silver I finished the night before after getting off of the phone with Scarlet having listened to her rant about baby names for almost an hour. If it was a boy she liked the names Ethan, Jordan, Jonathan and Xavier. If it was a girl she fancied the names Rebecca, Annabeth, Isabelle and Evangeline. I hated every one of them.

The light grew closer...so close that I could reach out and

Scarlet's P.O.V

Touch it with my hands. How on earth did I end up in a forest anyway? I hate hiking. I pulled the branches out of the way and stepped out onto cleared land. At first I covered my eyes from the bright beams of sunlight that hit me directly. After my eyes adjusted I looked around but there was no one there.

"Hello? Is someone out here?" I didn't shout very loud but my voice echoed at least three times after.

Sweat poured down my face but I was too busy being confused to care. It didn't shock me much that my phone had no service at all. "Great...just great."

Thunder boomed and the sunlight was beginning to fade...just like my patience. In no time at all heavy drizzles of cold rain began to soak me and it was then I noticed the cave on the other side of where I stood. Not only the cave...but the familiar looking boy walking into it as well.

"Adrian? Adrian!"

Adrian's P.O.V

My head jolted up at the sound of my name and my brows creased when I saw Scarlet running towards me.

"What are you doing here?" She asked out of breath and dripping with icy cold water.

"I don't even know where here is Scar." I shook my head and shrugged my coat off to wrap it around her shivering body.

"Thank you." She smiled at me and I had to admit...she was kinda beautiful. Ok...she was very beautiful. "Can we get out of here?"

"Don't you think it's weird that the both of us ended up here? I mean we don't even know where we are or how we got here. This could mean something don't you think?" I walked further into the dark cave but used my supernatural vision to see.

"What could it mean? Do you think it's...you know the um...chosen one thing?"

"Possibly, nothing else makes much sense right now." I stepped closer to the walls of the cave to examine it. At first I thought it was the jaggedness of the rocks but it was something more. There were

Ember's P.O.V

Writings on the wall carved in with stone. The small light I found in my pocket offered a dim glow but it was just enough for me to see.

"Three people...three very special people." I squinted and read the words. "The wolf, the witch and the...caretaker." Caretaker? "What is this?"

I walked into the cave further and read more. "Where the circle of the sun burns when the time is right...the three will join hands...all power will ignite." A prophecy? I exhaled and leaned against the walls and held my head. Things like these don't bother me...in fact they never get my attention. For all I know this could've been the gathering grounds for a cult or something. But it wasn't normal...the wolf...the witch and the most frightening of all...the caretaker. Who knows about caretakers? Who knew? This cave looked like hundreds of years old and so did the engravings. Hundreds of years...before the creation of caretakers...then who could have predicted that they...that we, would come into existence?

I took a deep breath and began to walk further into the cave when I heard voices. The first sounded like a man followed by the whispers of a female. If there were other people here then maybe they might know where this was and what all of this was about. As much as digging deeper into the mysterious stoned enclosure enticed my curious mind I turned the other direction and made my way towards the voices.

Scarlet's P.O.V

"Maybe it's just a cave Adrian; a meaningless cave." I exhaled and followed him deeper into the darkness even though my good judgment disagreed.

"Then how did we get here huh? Explain that to me." He yelled in a whisper and looked at me angrily.

"Don't look at me with those glowing, judgmental eyes. I'm starving and cold and wet."

"You're always starving. Just shut up and follow me."

"Oh yea not to mention pregnant! This can't be good for me or the baby." I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see me.

"Are you seriously bringing that up now?"

"You know what Adrian this is happening whether you like it or not so get over it and be a man."

"Oh I think that's what got us into this shit in the first place."

"We got into this because you were drunk so don't you−

"Hello?" A girl's voice echoed towards us and in seconds I saw the light drawing closer. "Hey...can someone tell me where I am?"

Adrian's P.O.V

Her deep brown eyes stared into mine and I realized she was waiting on a response.

"Oh um...we're lost too. We have no idea where we are or how we got here." Scarlet answered and the girl seemed to grow even more confused.

"This is all so strange. Is there anyone else around or it is just you and Adrian?" She pushed her black curly hair out of her face and I stared at her.

"How do you know my name?"

"I um...I...gotta go." She hurried past Scarlet and I all the way outside but I was quick on my toes behind her.

"Hey wait! Who are you? Why the hell are you so fast?" I raced behind the strange girl but she didn't stop or even slow down.

"Adrian!" I heard Scarlet's voice far behind me but I ignored her like I usually did most times.

"Hey stop! Stop! Watch out there's a cliff!" I yelled as loud as I could but it was too late. In the brief second that she took to turn around and look at me her fast feet took her completely over a cliff that had to be over one hundred feet high. "Oh my God!" I covered my mouth and looked over but there was no sign of her. She was gone.

"What the fuck is going on?" I held onto my head and turned around only to notice that Scarlet was also missing. "Scarlet? Scarlet!" My feet began to sprint without warning in search of the girl I didn't really care about. "Scarlet?" I ran towards the cave that seemed further than it was before. In fact...it was impossible to reach and soon after...impossible to see. What was once a large stoned cave was slowly becoming nothing but a big black blur and I couldn't command my legs to stop moving. Looking around, the entire mountainous area began to merge into one and my head began to spin.

"Scar...Scar...I can't..." Unable to finish my words I fell face first into complete darkness.