Chapter 51

I actually caught his scent before his face. Stopping midway in speech I instantaneously swung around, a huge smile splashing across my face as I saw the caramel brown bouncy locks which looked as though they had a life of their own. The brightness of his spirited eyes were absent but I was just happy that he wasn't, not anymore, and I hoped that this time his presence was permanent.

Both his hands remained deep in his pocket and his shoulders were slouched as he walked further into the house, making little to no eye contact with everyone around who couldn't keep their eyes off of him. Not surprisingly enough though, it was Nick who broke the silence and the awkwardness in the air.

He cleared his throat, approached Adrian and put a hand on his shoulder. "You know it's a bit weird how you always appear at the exact moment you're needed." He laughed. Adrian simply looked at him with confusion mixing with the dimness in his eyes. "I think it's pretty cool though. I'm Nick by the way, Jennifer's new boy toy." He held out his hand.

"Nick! What the hell?" I almost yelled at him.

He threw his head back in laughter. "I knew that would break your silence." Adrian even started to smile as he shook Nick's hand. I regarded him with a strong glare and shook my head. Nick shrugged as though he said nothing wrong then nodded to Adrian and stepped away, making room for me. I hadn't begun talking when he pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so, so, so sorry Jennifer. I don't know what's gotten into me lately. I really didn't mean to−

"Shh, it's ok Adrian. You've been through a lot of crap and it's a miracle you're still ok. I'm just happy you are and you're here."

"So, will you forgive me?" His eyes were pleading more than his words.

I smiled and place a kiss on his cheeks. "I already have."

"You're the best Jen, I love you." He smiled and hugged me again.

"I love you too." I took out his necklace and returned it to its rightful place, around his neck.

"Now, about your new boy toy..." He laughed.

I rolled my eyes. "Don't even start."

He began laughing again when his eyes landed on the person on the floor. His serious, worried eyes stared at me, mouth slightly opened, before turning again, this time rushing on the floor to his side.

"W−What happened?" Tears flooded the dim green pupils, washing even more life out of its color. He held Vince's head in his arms despite the sting of his scorching skin.

"Adrian, Vince's life is on the line here." Aiden stepped forward.

"Obviously, he's barely breathing!" He shouted. "Why haven't you guys done anything? Why are you all just standing around waiting for him to die?"

"He's not dying. Well, at least not literally." I said. "He's turning into one of those creatures, Adrian. We don't know how or why, all we know is..."

"What?" He was eager and tired of waiting.

"You're the only one who can save his life." Aiden answered.

"What? How am I gonna do that? Be sarcastic until he gets tired of it and wakes up to tell me to shut the hell up? Because that's all I'm an expert at."

"Clearly." Nick commented.

Satyr shot him a glare and walked next to Adrian. "That is not your expertise Adrian. Look I know you think it's all crap but you are very special. The prophecy said that you are and there is power running in your blood dear. That power can be used to help Vince. If we give him your blood he'll−