Chapter 18: Amber's Eyes

"Naira..." the ancient woman called to the young copper skinned girl who was hidding behind a tree whose branches cascaded downwards and nearly touched the hot and sandy ground. Only a mile away was the fire engines and some of the people of the town, looking at the mansion that exploded into flames. Things like this happened and it was because of the drug industry and people trying to get even.

"Naira!" the woman called the girl in a louder whisper. The girl moved from behind the tree, her copper skin glowing and her black eyes shining. Her long blue dress hung on her slim body and her thick, coarse black hair hung straight down and touched her shoulders. She was about 11 or 12 years old but had such strong features.

"Pipaluk, who is that man?" Naira asked the old woman who was draped in a long orange and golden cloak and wore no shoes on her feet. She had long silver gray hair that stopped at her ankles but she wore in one long braid. Her skin was copper also but her eyes were gray, a lighter shade than her hair. She was short and pretty chubby looking and dragged a body along the ground. It was partially burned and had two holes on the left side.

"I have found him again. He came here before." Pipaluk told her.

She dragged him to a little hut, deeper into Silver City, New Mexico and opened the door making Naira follow in and shut the door. The back room was darkened,  but when she flicked on the light it became an orange colored. It was filled with herbs and weird containers with mysterious things. There were teeth of sharks and of some dessert animals. A couple of dolls hung from their necks on the ceiling and it was smokey in this small room.

In the center was a white marble table, propped up by old black wood that creaked when Pipaluk and Naira pushed the man on top of it and he was on his back. They tore off the clothes on his upper body that was mostly burned and damaged the most and then Pipaluk took off the clothes on his lower body but turned to Naira.

"Shield your eyes, child." she demanded and Naira turned around as Pipaluk took a white cloth and covered his lower region.

Pipaluk picked up a jar containing something that was white and very foggy. She took the cork out and quickly poured the fog onto her hands and placed her palms over his belly button. It soaked up all of the fog and she waited and then pulled his bottom lip. A cloudy red mist leaked from his mouth and the woman gasped.

"He's in hell." she exclaimed and turned to Nairo. "Quickly! Bring the ice! He's burning..." she commanded. The girl ran to do as Pipaluk said.

In the mean time Pipaluk looked at the man, "You have allowed the devil to play with your soul. You have fed into all of his lies and he has you...but I will bring you back."

The girl came back and placed an ice cube in each of his palms and closed it. She opened his mouth and put the ice cube under his tongue and closed his mouth again.

Pipaluk went to the other side of the room and took an unusual bright green leaf and crushed it all over his wounds and they started sizzling. He was no longer burned but his skin was white and not the brown color it was before. She took the fog again and put it over his belly button and opened his mouth and the red mist came out again and the ice melted.

"Naira." she called to the girl and the girl put another ice cube under his tongue.

Pipaluk took a wooden bowl that contained a couple of herbs and dusted it over his wounds. His skin turned to it's color again. She repeated the processes again and it still turned red.

"If this doesn't work, then we lose him." Pipaluk told the girl.

Pipaluk squatted down under the table and picked up a large bottle with a red liquid inside. On the outside it read, 'Raoul'. Naira raised her eyebrows, "You said that's bad. You said you will never use it."