What's Mine Is Yours...Unfortunately: Chapter 22

~James~

                I wake up the next morning glad it’s Saturday. Without getting out of bed I reach over and grab my phone from the nightstand. I dial Kat’s number.

                “Hello?” she answers cheerfully.

                I smile a little, “Hey Kat. It’s me James,”

                “Hey Serenity’s boyfriend,” she responds and I can basically picture the huge toothy smile she must have on her face.

                Too bad I’m going to wipe it off.

                “I’m not,” I say, “Serenity and I just won’t work out,” I continue.

                “What?” she asks.

                Gosh she’s slow.

                “Serenity doesn’t want anything to do with me and I’m done as well,” I respond.

                Lies. All lies.

                “B-b-but Serenity’s just mildly stupid. She’ll come around,” Kat exclaims.

                I laugh slightly then. Leave it to Kat to say something like that.

                “I’ll always be there for her,” I say and then continue, “I-I just have to get used to the idea that Serenity doesn’t want me,”

                Lies. I won’t be able to. Not when she’s so close.

                “B-b-but it’s not supposed to be this way,” Kat protests.

                “Well at least I know I fought for her, right?” I ask.

                "That still isn’t enough. Only having her will be enough," my mind argues.

~Serenity~

                I listen to James. I can’t help the single tear that escapes my eye. I don’t know what I had thought when I came down here. I don’t even know why I have my ear pressed to the door.

                But I do know that he’s right. He fought for me. I didn't fight for him. 

                But he also kissed someone else and almost broke my boyfriend. He didn’t respect my decisions. He tried to manipulate me with his soft lips and shining eyes.

                Why, why am I so confused?

                I walk away after a few more seconds; the feeling of the cold metal handle still on my palm. Things happen for a reason, right?

~James~             

What if-what if we-we,” Kat starts and I can basically see the wheels in her head turning.

                “What if you make her jealous?” Kat bursts out.

                “Kat that’s a stupid idea,” I start before I actually process her idea.

                “Kat, that wasn’t actually stupid!” I exclaim after a few seconds.

                Of course. Why hadn’t I thought of that?