What's Mine Is Yours...Unfortunately: Chapter 8

Serenity after her make-over in her orange dress>>>>>>>>>>>>             

 ~James~

                 “Hello Kat,” I say nonchalantly.

                “I can’t believe it! You like her! Oh my gosh I can’t wait to see her reaction,” she says dancing in a circle. I watch her entertained for about thirty seconds until I realize what she said.

                “No, I don’t like Serenity,” I say in my most believing tone.

                “I heard you and Josh,” she says stopping her dance and quirking an eyebrow.

                “And not once did I say I liked her,” I say smiling because she knows it’s the truth.

                “Bu-but, I’m still telling her!” she exclaims before bolting.

                I bolt after her and thank the lord for all the running I’m forced to do in football practice because I manage to catch up with her. She turns and when she sees me right after her she squeals and tries to run faster, but her knee buckles. Taking this to my advantage I grab her arm and slam her, softly, into the wall before she falls down.

                “You will not tell her,” I state.

                “And why not?” she asks pursing her lips.

                “You have a lot of attitude for someone who’s trapped against a wall,” I warn and she scowls.

                “Besides I couldn’t like someone like Serenity,” I say moodily before looking away.

                “What do you mean someone like Serenity?!” she asks outraged.

                “I know she’s your friend and everything, but Serenity’s not a good person,” I sigh letting go of Kat; suddenly feeling very tired.

                “Not a good person! Not a good person,” Kat yells approaching me with an accusing finger, “Will someone who’s not a good person reason volunteer at the library to read to little kids, or go to the animal shelter and feed the stray dogs treats that she has to buy, or do the grocery shopping for the elderly on her block, or give the little money she has to Mary, her old caretaker, so she can save up to go to the dentist!” she screams outraged.

                I’m shocked. Serenity has done all that?

                But Kat’s not done, “Why do you think all her clothes were cheap and comfortable? Why do you think she never even thought about buying make-up or going to the mall? Because she can’t afford it! And you, you out of all people shouldn’t be talking! She saved your life for god’s sake! What kind of bad person jumps in front of a moving vehicle to save a little ungrateful shit like you? Huh, huh? And then has to cure her injuries with vodka because the first aid kit is all out of bandages and Neosporin!” she takes a deep breath trying to calm herself down.

                I let the words sink in. She got injured? She got injured because of me and I didn’t even say thank you? Well, now I feel like trash.

                “But, Tiffany said-” I start, but Kat cuts me off the angry flare returning to her eyes.

                “F*ck Tiffany!” she says infuriated before turning on her heel and stalking off in the direction of Serenity’s room.