83

Harry's foster dad sits on the couch, watching TV and sipping late night tea. It's sometime after 11 o'clock now.

Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Harry pass the living room entrance. So he calls out to him. "Harry."

A couple of seconds later, Harry peaks his head in and through the opening. "Sir?"

"Why don't you come in and sit down with me."

Harry gives him a puzzled look but he still walks in with his hands deep in his pajama pockets. "Yeah?"

"Go on, sit down." His foster dad lifts the remote and turns off the TV. "I want to talk to you."

"Why?"

He shrugs his shoulders and smiles. "I just don't think we talk enough. Sometimes it's good to have some father and son time. That way we can know what's on each other's minds. Don't you agree?"

Harry smiles in return and sits down. "Yeah." He watches his dad sip his tea and look at him admiringly.

"So... you and Zayn, huh?"

Harry grins crazily and bites his bottom lip. "Mhm."

His foster dad smiles and playfully punches his thigh. "Finally. Right?"

"Oh, come on, dad. It's not like I would never find anyone." He laughs.

"I know, I know."

"So why are we talking about this again?"

"Because I'm happy for you. That's all. It's young love right now and I know that, but it's still beautuful and it still puts a smile on my face."

"Really?"

"Of course. There isn't a reason why it wouldn't." But then he sighs and sits his cup of tea down on the coffee table in front of them. "But I'll be honest and tell you the real reason I called you in here is because I have a question for you."

"Oh, W-what is it?" He hesitates.

He has to get himself together before he actually speaks again. "I know you're eighteen and I know you can make your own decisions now because you are technically grown. But I at least hope that if you're going to be sexually active, then you're using protection. Are you?"

Harry's grin is quickly wiped away and his dad knows it means he isn't.

"Harry, I love you. You know that. So I want you to be careful and I want you to be make good decisions everyday. You remember the birds and the bees talk, don't you?"

Harry growls lightly. He remembers the talk. It was only about a month after he'd been adopted when he started asking his foster dad about sex. His foster dad knew age 12 was usually very young to be discussing it in detail. But seeing as Harry's father had already ripped his virginity away from him, he sat down and explained everything about it, including the consequences that could come from unprotected sex. "Yeah, I remember it."

"Then I just want you to think about it and apply it. I don't want to see you hurt."

"I know. I won't get hurt. I'm okay. I know I'm okay."

He smiles at his son sympathetically and he pokes his own thigh. "Alright... I believe you.... And I also trust that tomorrow night, you'll be careful and do all the right things. Am I right?"

"Yes, you're right." Harry chuckles but he's really frustrated on the inside. "Can I please go up to my room now? I'm getting sleepy."

He waves a hand at him. "Sure, go ahead. I'll be going to bed later on myself anyway."

Harry hops up quickly. "Thank you. I'll see you in the morning and I'll make us both a good breakfast."

"And that's totally okay with me." His foster dad laughs quietly and reaches toward the coffee table. He's so busy reaching for his cup of tea though, that he almost doesn't see Harry falling onto him and hugging him tightly. "I love you so much dad. Thank you for everything."

He smiles brightly and pats his boy on the back. Harry deserves everything he's ever done for him. "I love you too, Harry. I always will."