42

When Zayn gets home that night, it's after seven thirty. His mother is standing in the kitchen with her arms folded when he enters.

"Where have you been?" she asks. Her voice is deathly calm.

"Out..."

"Out where?"

"Just out."

"How did you get home?"

"I-I walked home."

"You're lying Zayn."

"How?..."

"I was looking out the window just before you came in. You got out of a car and it looks like the same car that Harry picked you up in on New Years."

Shit.

"Why do you insist on lying to me? Is it because you and Harry have a thing and you don't want me to find out about it?"

"No."

"Then why are you always with him?"

Zayn is lost for words. Truthfully, he just wants to get out of here and get out of here now. "Because I... I- Mom there's nothing, okay?"

He sees the anger building in her face. It's so scary. "Do you think I'm stupid?"

"No. I don't."

"Yes you do."

"No. There's- there's nothing between us."

"Then what is that?!" She bolts over to him and points to a deep, cherry red hickey on his neck. "This doesn't look like nothing!"

Zayn meant to cover that up with the collar of his coat. What was he thinking? How did he forget? "It's um... uh-"

"Don't try to explain how it got there because I don't care for your lie. You just slept with him. Didn't you?"

"No." And he's telling the truth. Zayn and Harry didn't do anything. Harry only made this mark and he stopped.

"You know..." She says as she walks away from him. "You are really trying to make me out to be a fool and I don't appreciate it. Do you not remember the conversation we had at the dinner table a while back? I meant everything I said. If I find out what you're doing, if I catch you... that's it."

"I know that." he mumbles.

"Then you should at least act like you know." she says turning quickly to him and pointing a finger at him. "Because I swear Zayn. I will not hesitate to give you away. I will not."

As she walks away, Zayn's not sure if the stinging sensation he feels in his heart is physical or mental. In a way, he's hoping it's physical. He's hoping that it's a sign that something is wrong internally with him. Something that he can't fix. But no matter what he wants to think, he has a feeling it's mental. Which means that though he's always known his mother isn't really happy with him being her child, this is the first time she's actually used words to tell Zayn how she feels on the inside and it hurts him more than he wants it to.

He drags himself down the hallway to his room and closes the door behind him.

"Does she really hate me so much, that she would willingly give me away to someone else?" He sighs.

"She's your mother, Zayn. Of course not. She doesn't mean that."

"Not now." Zayn mumbles. "I don't feel like hearing you right now. Go away."

"You do realize I am your conscience and that this is you telling yourself those things about your mother, right?"

"Well, you want to know something then?" Zayn says and he lies out in his bed with his face in the covers.

"What."

"I think I'm wrong."