45

Dr. Kershman gives Harry a large smile as she writes down what they've just talked about. Today's session is mostly focused on things that would appeal to Harry and get him to open up since that had been the hardest thing for him with all the therapists he's ever had. They'd just finished talking about him being on the school's soccer team. Harry never once got angry.

"Well, Harry. I have a more interesting question for you this time. I think this will help you open up even more."

He raises his eyebrow. "What is it?"

"Have you thought about a partner?"

"A what?"

"A partner. You know, like a girlfriend or for you... a boyfriend."

Harry immediately becomes defensive. "Why? What does that have to do with anything?"

Dr. Kershman collects her thoughts. "Look, I know you don't feel comfortable talking about your past situation with your father with anyone and honestly, I'm not asking you to do that. But I think it would be a good idea if you can find someone that could possibly occupy your mind a lot of the time. You're an only child and it's not going to be much of a help if you're sitting at home alone and you're thinking about all the things that used to happen to you. Harry, I'm a doctor. I am trained in this profession. You should listen to me. I think that would be really good for you."

Harry looks down into his lap and is uncomfortably quiet for a minute or so. Dr. Kershman doesn't say anything because she wants to let him get it out. Notably, she finds out it's the right decision. Because when Harry looks up again, he's crying and he's ready to tell her how he feels.

"There is one guy." he sniffles. "He um. He goes to my school."

She relaxes. "Oh really?"

"Yeah. I just don't... I don't know how to show him or tell him that I like him. I don't know if he's ever gonna know, or even if I want him to know. Not after the things I've done."

"Don't blame yourself, Harry. What your father did to you is not your fault."

Harry scoffs at those words because she thinks he's talking about his past when he's actually referring to the things he's done to Zayn and will continue to do to him.

"How about we stay focused on positive things today. Do you think he likes you back?"

"I don't know. It's so hard to tell. Sometimes he looks at me like he does."

Dr. Kershman gushes, while trying to remember to show sympathy for how distraught Harry really is. "Well tell me. Is he a senior? Is he graduating this year too?"

Harry frowns and his eyes squint briefly because he knows he's about to lie to her. "Yeah."

"And what's his name?"

Harry sighs and wipes his eyes. "His name is Zayn. Zayn Malik."