Family || m.c.

You walked into your living room after a long day at work to find your sixteen year old son, Alfie, and your nine year old daughter, Lily, sat watching cartoons.

"What're you watching?" You took a deep breath before squeezing onto the end of the couch, admiring the way your son, held his little sister.

"Spongebob." Lily subtly replied, obviously engrossed in the tv and you just nodded.

"I thought your dad would be down here watching it with you, he loves this," You muttered slightly, glancing over at Alfie, who just shrugged.

"He went to the studio with Uncle Cal, about an hour ago. Asked me to watch Lil," You raised your eyebrow as if he was to be talking absolute absurdity.

"He said he'd watch you two tonight?"

"I know, mom," You squinted your eyes at Alfie. "I was there when you made him promise."

"What's that supposed to mean?" You were slightly offended that your son was seemingly your husbands side.

He rolled his eyes. "It means, I'm old enough to stay home alone, and I'm old enough to watch Lily."

"Watch your tone," You quickly snapped. "Although that's not my point,"

"Then what is your point, mom-"

"Honey, I'm home!" Your eyes locked on Alfie who looked like a deer in headlights as he obviously locked eyes on his dad standing at the front door.

You leaned down to your daughters level a quietly whispered in her ear. "Lily, sweetie, I want you to go upstairs and play, okay?" Lily nodded, lifting her head from her brothers shoulder and jumping up.

"You," You pointed at your son. "Go with her. No questions asked."

He groaned. "But why?"

"Hey, I said no questions asked,"

"Mom," He spoke bluntly and you shrugged your shoulders.

"Your dad and I just need to talk," You responded coldly and with that, he took off upstairs, following after Lily.

You stood up and walked to the kitchen where Michael stood anxiously awaiting your arrival.

You paced for a moment before turning to him, you hands on your hips and you jaw clenched. "Michael, you are a dad," You spat quickly.

"Are we really having the conversation again?" He groaned audibly and threw his hands up in frustration.

"You're a dad," You continued, taking a deep breath, ignoring Michael's interruption. "You can't just up and leave your kids home alone just because you have to record some fucking harmonies with Calum!" You raised your voice slowly, trying to contain your annoyance.

"It was last minute, baby, I'm sorry," He pleaded, trying to take your hands and remove them from your hips but your pulled away from him. "Besides, Y/N, Al's sixteen, he's not a kid anymore!" He sarcastically laughed, trying to ignore the anger you were visibly showing.

"He is our kid, Michael, and so is Lily! I don't want them growing up anymore than they have had to without there father there all the time!" Your voice was evidently raised now and you weren't keen on calming down just yet. "You literally got home a few days ago after a full two weeks in California for writing and recording. How do you think Alfie feels? And Lily? And me for christ sake! You're never around and when you are, you act like here is the last place you want to be!" You strained yourself and tried to calm down by running your hands through your hair.

"I'm sorry, I can't control where I have to be and when I have to be there, Y/N! You knew this the minute we started dating, you knew that I wouldn't be around all the time like a normal dad!" His voice raised now to meet your pitch and you felt like slapping the sense into him.

"That doesn't mean you have to be an asshole! You could at least try and act like we're a family and not two people that were strung together because of one fucking mistake!" You felt your voice crack once you let out your last sentence. You wanted to feel guilty but you were too angry at him for spoiling everything again.

"Shut up," He mumbled, his jaw clenched tightly.

"What did you just say?"

"I said shut up!" Your eyes widened at his insult and bawled your hands into fists. "You're such a whiney bitch all the time, jesus, just shut up!" He cornered you but you stood your ground until your back hit the kitchen counter. "Just stop worrying about everyone else and focus on yourself for once! You're my wife, not my babysitter!" Your furrowed eyebrows faltered and your words failed to fall from your mouth.

He knew one of your biggest flaws was putting other peoples happiness before your own.

"I can't believe you even-"

"Don't even try to make me pity you because I mean it, Y/N! You need to get your nose in your own-"

"Dad, stop," You watched your son wedge in between the two of you, pushing his dad away from you.

Michael's eyes calmed as he looked over his son.

Alfie stepped back and looked over the two of you. "My little sister is upstairs crying because she thinks her dad is leaving. You both need to shut up."

"Excuse you-"

He swiftly cut off his dad and carried on. "No, okay. We're family, whether dad's not around all the time and whether mom's still a psychopath. You two love each other so just stop fighting all the time. Dad agree to stick around more and mom keep your nose in your own business." You stared in awe of your son just as Michael was.

"Alf-"

"I'm going to put Lily to bed. Don't kill each other whilst I'm gone."

You just watched him walk back up the stairs and in an instant you breathed a heavy sigh and fell back against the kitchen counter in exhaustion.

"He's right, I should keep to myself," You mumbled, trying to rid of the god awful headache you had now developed.

"You wouldn't be you if you weren't so controlling," Michael mumbled, his voice still low and he glanced over at you to see your physical exhaustion showing.

"Are we terrible parents?" You questioned, trying not to cry and you slid yourself down and collapsed in a heap on the tiled floor.

Michael smiled before walking over to you and sitting beside you, keeping a very short amount of distance between the two of you.

"No," He shook his head and tucked his knees up to his chest. "We might be pretty bad at the whole, family thing, but we all love each other and we all know it and thats all that matters really." You sniffled and nodded, listing your head before shuffling closer to Michael.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you,"

"I'm sorry I'm not around enough,"

You nodded and Michael sighed, dropping his knees before wrapping a consoled arm around you, letting you rest you head on his shoulder.

He leaned down and kissed your forehead gently. "I love you."

*~*~*

michael makes me depressed bc he's actually the cutest human

imm pretty sure this is awful & i didn't read it over soz