A Step You Can't Take Back || c.h.

Part 3

You pulled at the sleeves of the hoodie Calum had given you, seeing as you rushed here in only your pyjamas - which inconveniently consisted of shorts and a t-shirt - as your head rested on Calum's shoulder, your fingers still intertwined.

"You loved me," Calum mumbled, his face squashed up against you as his head rested on top of yours. "And I messed it up didn't I?" You sighed and closed your eyes as you felt Calum sit up a little straighter.

"Kind of, yeah." You muttered, using the oversized sleeves of the hoodie to rest your head in.

"I guess you kinda hate me for not finding you," You shook your head but Calum chuckled softly and nodded his head.

"I wouldn't have rushed here at five am in pyjamas in thought that you were hurt if I hated you, Cal." You balled your hand into a fist and rubbed at your eyes in attempt to wake yourself up a little more. "I don't hate you, I just really wanted you to find me."

"I still love you," He whispered, his head turning in your direction as you looked up at him. He smiled when he saw your smudged make up and tired eyes and found himself leaning down where he pressed his lips to your forehead.

You smiled at the warmth you received from his small gesture.

"And I know you still love me," You scoffed at his words, sounding slightly overconfident and a little cocky.

You nodded. "Alright, Cal." You mumbled, pushing your hands into the pockets of his hoodie and turning away from Calum.

"I can prove it." He mumbled, leaning closer to you, moving his hand to where yours were situated in the pockets of his hoodie.

Your breathing hitched a little as his warm hands grazed over your cold ones, but Calum only moved his hand passed yours before pulling it back out again, holding up a small piece of paper between his fingers.

He carefully unfolded it and held it up in front of you to read.

"I love you." You whispered, reading off the small piece of paper you had given to him so many months ago. Calum wore a small smile on his lips but you shook your head. "I wrote that a long time ago."

"That doesn't mean you don't any-"

"Yes it does." You quickly cut him off, shuffling away from as you came to your senses. No matter what, he still left you for months and months before that. He still hurt you. He wasn't getting back in that easily, you'd already given him his once chance and he screwed it up. "Considering you didn't actually bother to come find me after I reached out to you for your first mistake. I think you could say, my feelings towards you have changed a little." You stood up from the chair you'd sat in for a couple hours now and shrugged off the hoodie Calum had given you. "Tell your dad I dropped by and I wish him well, but I should go."

You sat the hoodie on your chair before walking away from Calum and over to the elevator.

"Hey, Y/N," You turned to see Luke was following behind you, standing at the elevator doors with you now. "Where're you going?"

"Home." You replied bluntly.

Calum could never chase after you in situations like this, so much so that his best friend was now doing the work for him.

You smiled as the elevator door opened, and you quickly entered it and pressed the button for the ground floor.

"Wait," Luke's arm stopped the doors from closing, causing them to spring back open before he climbed into the elevator with you. "I'll walk you out."