Chapter 65

‘I trust you, so I will choose to trust him only because you do.’

Ji Mingxia was stunned, and in the next instant, his heart pounded heavily.

He turned his face away in a panic, his head filled with the sound of his frantic heartbeat.

Just when Ji Mingxia was at a loss for words, he heard Yu Ning say, “Let’s go eat.”

With that, Yu Ning took Ji Mingxia’s hand and led him back.

It was so dark around that Ji Mingxia could not clearly see the road ahead, so Yu Ning took him by the hand and they walked back to the spring.

The spring was clear and the water reflecting the moonlight stood out among the trees.

As Ji Mingxia sat down, Yu Ning stepped aside and switched on his torch, which served as a light source.

They had packed two strong torches for outdoor use, but they hadn’t used it much before because they weren’t sure how long they would be in the mountains.

Now that Li Youzi was dead and the other Blood Red Ring was retrieved, they would go back down the mountain to the city tomorrow so there was no need to conserve supplies.

The two torches were stacked together, and the light shone on the tree trunks. Some of it refracting back, making the surroundings much brighter.

According to the plan, Ji Mingxia and Yu Ning were supposed to eat in the evening, rest after dark, and pack up and leave the mountain at dawn tomorrow.

But Pei Yuan’s appearance disrupted their plans. It was now after seven o’clock, and no one had even had a drop of water.

Ji Mingxia’s attention was on Pei Yuan, so he didn’t feel anything earlier.

Only when he sat down to prepare dinner did he realise that he was starving.

While he and Yu Ning were preparing dinner, Bao Guangyuan and Pei Yuan were standing not far away, each fixing and adjusting their state.

As the outer packaging of the food was opened, the aroma gradually wafted out.

Bao Guangyuan moved his nose and sniffed for a while before getting up and walking around uncomfortably, then he turned away and didn’t look in Ji Mingxia and Yu Ning’s direction.

Pei Yuan was not so affected, but it could be seen that he had spent two days in the forest. He looked winded and tired.

Ji Mingxia took stock of the supplies and found a fair inventory.

According to the original plan, he and Yu Ning would eat today and tomorrow, and then they would be able to finish it all and go back in one piece.

Now with the addition of Bao Guangyuan and Pei Yuan, the four of them had to share the food. Although each of them ate less than average, it was enough to make ends meet.

Ji Mingxia took his backpack and moved over to Yu Ning’s side to discuss a few things with him in a low voice.

Yu Ning then glanced at Pei Yuan and Bao Guangyuan not far away.

Ji Mingxia was completely wary when they first met Bao Guangyuan and Meng Xinyi. Although he was willing to share some of the food with them, he didn’t treat them as trusted companions.

Of course, the subsequent events confirmed that it was best not to challenge humanity when two strange teams meet in extreme circumstances.

But somehow, Ji Mingxia’s vigilance disappeared when he met Pei Yuan.