Chapter 04

“It’s eleven o’clock and the school building is going to be locked! This student!!! Hurry up and go back to the dormitory!”

The voice of the night patrol teacher suddenly rang out at the classroom door.

Yu Ning was startled for a moment and reflexively hid the plan book behind him.

“Hurry up, hurry up!” The night patrol teacher saw that his desk had not even been cleared and urged him on.

At that moment, Yu Ning’s mind was in turmoil and the plan book is his hands felt hot.

Almost instinctively, he opened the binder of Ji Mingxia’s plan book, quickly pulled out the first page and stuffed it into his exercise book.

At the urging of the night patrol teacher, Yu Ning shoved the planner back into Ji Mingxia’s drawer, then slowly walked out of the classroom, holding the exercise book with the page of the love plan.

It rained all the way.  Yu Ning held the exercise book tightly in his arms. It was only when he entered the dormitory that he tucked the exercise book, which had not been wet, into the least noticeable corner of the bookshelf.

Inside the boys’ dormitory, everyone was busy with their own business.

No one cared whether Yu Ning had returned or not.

That kind of indifference rarely made Yu Ning feel at ease.

After hiding his homework book, Yu Ning walked towards the bathroom with his damp hair.

While passing by Ji Mingxia’s bed, Yu Ning glanced at it from the corner of his eyes.

Ji Mingxia was not in bed.

The toilet was connected to the bathroom but it was also empty.

Since Ji Mingxia was not in the dormitory, he wondered where he had gone.

Yu Ning lowered his head, preparing to turn on the water to take a shower as usual.

The dormitory facilities in the county high school were relatively old, especially for the boys who lived in that dormitory building. It was the most dilapidated place in the whole school.

There were six people living in each dormitory, and although there were separate toilets and bathrooms, the shower equipment in the bathrooms used leftover solar power from more than ten years ago.

If you go back to the dormitory earlier in the evening, there would still be free hot water for bathing.

But if you’re not careful and are late, you’d be left with cold water.

In case you want to continue using the hot water, you have to use your campus card to pay for it.

Funan County was an ordinary county with a low per capita consumption level. High school students have limited pocket money, let alone orphans like Yu Ning.

He was able to attend high school solely on the basis of his top grades. The school gave him a waiver on tuition, food and other expenses. Although he received a bonus of a few hundred yuan per semester, he used it all to buy study materials.

Of course, he was not the only one who was short of money.

If one came back late and couldn’t afford it, there was the option of going to the warden’s room on the ground floor to borrow an electric heating rod to boil water.

The boys’ dormitory was managed by a middle-aged couple who had worked at the school for decades, and were very kind and friendly to the students.

Unfortunately, that did not include Yu Ning, so he never went down there.