Merrill Young wasn't always a troubled person. Deep inside somewhere, hidden by her trauma and lewd persona, she's always been a sweet soul. A person seeking and craving the love she never received, well not without a gift to give first. The brunette was tired of always giving her body to receive very small amounts of affection in return.

On a journey to find something more, she ended up at the Cortez. A place that others feared, so much so that they would cross the street simply when passing. Part of Merrill told her she should listen, that she shouldn't enter. But how could she judge such a beautiful place on the opinions of others?

Sure, it appeared run down and even a little haunting from the outside. The brick stained by years of neglect, the sign flickering and begging for new bulbs. Merrill decided, against the advice of others, that she would give the Cortez a fighting chance.

After all, people said all sorts of things about her that weren't true. Entering the Cortez felt like a needed exploration, maybe she would find herself here? In a place much like herself, something that people avoided at all costs. Unless of course they needed something they couldn't get elsewhere.

Whether that be a night of passion, fuel for their addictions, or simply a night away from the world. Upon stepping in, Merrill was greeted by the thick smell of smoke and whiskey. A small smile crept on her face as she closed her eyes. The smell vaguely reminding her of her father, the only piece of him she had for that matter.

The gaze of the permanent residents to the—seemingly ancient—building fell upon her. She eyed each one of them hesitantly, feeling as if she didn't belong. Not that she felt she belonged anywhere, but their gazes were somehow comforting. None of them seemed to mind her presence much, going about their days as usual.

It comforted her to be ignored for once; as if her past had fell away to dust. She approached the front desk, waiting patiently for the grey-haired woman to acknowledge her. Iris looked up and raised her eyebrows slightly at the woman. Quickly and subtly taking in her appearance and internally shrugging.

All types of people walked through those doors; Merrill being the least of her concern. "I'd like a room" the brunette voiced, "how long?" Iris asked tiredly. "I dunno, whatever I can get" Merrill answered uncertainly. Iris simply handed her a room key as her gaze dropped back down to her book.

"Thanks" Merrill mumbled, palming the key and slightly stumbling her way further into the hotel. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up as she ventured into the halls. Taking in all the engravings and decor on the walls stained by time. After much deliberation she finally made it to her room.

Flopping onto the bed with a sigh as her gaze stuck to the ceiling. She had no clue what she was doing here or how long she would stay. All she knew was that something called her to this place. Ever since stepping through those doors she had this aching feeling. A longing that she somehow knew would be fulfilled.

A feeling washed over her, one that was very foreign to Merrill, she felt calm. As if she'd known it all along, and in that moment she knew she wouldn't be leaving here soon. In mere minutes this place had managed to give her what she'd been craving her whole life: serenity.

With a grunt, she raised off the bed and walked over into the bathroom. Gazing at herself in the mirror she frowned a bit. Her makeup was slightly smudged from the tears she'd cried on the trip over. Merrill never knew when her emotions would hit her. It felt as though she felt everything at the wrong times.

Crying over small things when any other person would be fine. Yet numb when others would feel their heart had been ripped from their chest. Merrill had learned to live with this fact about herself. What other choice did she have after all? She made her way back into the room, grabbing her toiletries bag out of her suitcase.

Standing back in front of the mirror she sighed as she wiped her makeup away. A soft and natural blush present on her cheeks as she stared back at her reflection. "Who are you?" She whispered, her eyes squinting slightly as she questioned herself. The brunette shook her head a giggled at her foolery.

Isn't it others who tell you who you are? Your parents or guardians helping mold and form you into your future self? Did she have it all wrong? Maybe it was her who was supposed to make her destiny. As she thought of all these things she changed her clothes. Dropping the sad girl appearance for a confident woman.

It was as if she changed her skin. Her face taking on a whole new look as she stepped back in front of the mirror. Merrill has always been an adaptive creature. Twisting and bending to fit into whatever box she needed to for the night. Donning a little mascara and lip gloss she smiled at herself once again.

After feeling a bit better she decided to explore a bit more of the hotel. Her fingers daintily running along the raised portions of the walls as she walked. Swaying her body lightly side to side in tune with her own internal music. "Well hi there, little one" someone uttered, Merrill flinched slightly in surprise.

Her gaze wandering slightly down to a blonde woman. "Elizabeth, but everyone calls me The Countess" she voiced, "Merrill" the woman replied simply. "And what brings you here Merrill?" Elizabeth asks as she links arms with the brunette. Merrill gazed at her in confusion but continued to follow her lead anyway.

"What usually brings people here?" She asks curiously, determined to get an answer so she'd know how to respond. "All sorts of things... money, love... sex or drugs—you name it. Now what I really wanna know is what a sweet girl like you is doing here? It has to be something good" she remarks, only further confusing the brunette.

"Nothing specific, just stopping by to see if something interests me" she answers with a somewhat truthful response. The countess merely hummed in acknowledgment, making sure to keep her grip on the woman beside her. They finally reached their destination, the bar, and Elizabeth let go.

Gently ushering Merrill to take a seat on one of the high stools. "I've got to be going. Liz, take care of her" the blonde advises and Liz nods once in agreement. Giving Merrill a chaste kiss on the cheek, and then Lizzie is on her way. "What's your name, sweetheart?" Liz asks softly, "Merrill" she replies nervously.

"Well pick your poison, Merrill" Liz offers, "tequila, please" she orders. "Lovely choice" the woman commends, turning to pour the drink. Merrill gazes around the room once more, taking in more than she was originally afforded. Her eyes land on a shadowy figure sitting in a booth. The dim light above the woman being a terrible aid to the brunette's blooming curiosity.

"Here you go" with a sight scraping sound the drink is slid over to Merrill. She takes it and lifts it towards Liz as a thank you before swallowing all its contents. Setting it back down and pushing it towards the extravagant woman, a silent request for more. "You sure about that?" Liz asks cautiously, "yep" Merrill breathes out.

Her gaze wandering back to the now empty spot where the object of her mind's eye once sat. She sighed and turned back around, leaning her forearms against the counter in defeat. Her head bowed and shoulders slightly raised as she thought about nothing and yet everything.

Another glass was slid over to her, and then another after that. She stopped after her fifth drink, feeling a bit more buzzed than she normally would. Despite most people's observation, she actually wasn't quite different than she normally was. Except for the fact that she had a little more anticipation running through her veins.

She hadn't planned to find anyone tonight, thinking she would just go up to her room and sleep. Now, with the alcohol coursing through her blood, that seemed like an idea of a past life. She turned around in her seat looking for her next partner. Just a little bit of fun. Her searching was interrupted by the clearing of someone's throat behind her.

Upon turning to look at the mysterious person, she immediately recognized their figure. This was the woman she had been staring at before. Up close she looked even more gorgeous than before. Found you. She smirked softly and gestured for the woman to take a seat next to her. Which the frizzy-haired blond did without hesitation.

Neither of them knew what the night would hold, but they were eager to find out.